Explore Las Vegas
Also Featured In
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Type: Outdoor Activities, Parks
Located four miles southeast of Boulder City, Lake Mead National Recreation Park Area provides relaxation and fun year-round. With 1.5 million acres, it's twice the size of Rhode Island and is... Read More
Located four miles southeast of Boulder City, Lake Mead National Recreation Park Area provides relaxation and fun year-round. With 1.5 million acres, it's twice the size of Rhode Island and is America's largest man-made reservoir. Interestingly, three of America's four desert ecosystems--the Mojave, the Great Basin and the Sonoran deserts--are all connected by Lake Mead. With 50 miles of shoreline, the park offers multiple marinas, boating, fishing and water sports. It also caters to hikers, climbers, campers and car tours. Lakeshore Road and Northshore Road will take you around a large portion of the lake and both roads have multiple access points to the lake, although lowering water levels have closed or moved some places. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, as the area is home to thousands of desert plants and animals.
Lakeshore Road and Northshore Road
Boulder City, NV 89005
- Visitor Center: Wed-Sun 9am-4:30pm
- Recreation Area: Daily Open 24 Hours
- Some Beaches and Other Areas: Daily Sunrise-Sunset
- Entrance Fees
Entry Per Vehicle $10
Lake Use Fee for Vessels $16
- Parks: "A favorite local activity at any of the Lake Mead marinas is feeding the fish. Bring your own popcorn or buy some at the marina store, then toss some popcorn in the water to watch the very well-fed fish at Lake Mead (mostly carp) go a little crazy."
- Best for Parks Because: Lake Mead National Recreation Area provides an abundance of outdoor activities, including boating, hiking, fishing and camping.