Explore Las Vegas
Also Featured In
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Type: Outdoor Activities, Parks
Lake Mead National Recreation Park Area allows a great deal of relaxation and fun year-round. It's most-visited entrance is located four miles southeast of Boulder City, but there are other entrance... Read More
Lake Mead National Recreation Park Area allows a great deal of relaxation and fun year-round. It's most-visited entrance is located four miles southeast of Boulder City, but there are other entrance points into this large park. At 1.5 million acres, it's twice the size of Rhode Island and contains America's largest man-made reservoir. Interestingly, three of America's four desert ecosystems--the Mojave, the Great Basin and the Sonoran deserts--also coincide at Lake Mead. With 50 miles of shoreline, the park offers multiple marinas, boating, fishing and water sports. It also caters to hikers, climbers, campers and car tours. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, as the area is home to thousands of desert plants and animals.
- Visitor Center: Wed-Sun 9am-4:30pm
- Recreation Area: Daily Open 24 Hours
- Some Beaches and Other Areas: Daily Sunrise-Sunset
- Entrance Fees
Entry Per Vehicle $10
Lake Use Fee for Vessels $16
- Parks: "If you want to stop for lunch, restaurants are located at marinas in Boulder Basin, at Temple Bar in East Lake Mead and at in Lake Mohave."
- Best for Parks Because: Lake Mead National Recreation Area features two lakes and more than 1.5 million acres of land.