Explore Las Vegas
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
Type: Outdoor Activities, Parks, Sightseeing
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is an easy escape from the fast pace of the Las Vegas Strip. Located west of the city just outside the edge of housing developments, this chunk of the Mojave... Read More
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is an easy escape from the fast pace of the Las Vegas Strip. Located west of the city just outside the edge of housing developments, this chunk of the Mojave Desert is loaded with hiking, biking and nature-watching opportunities. Red Rock's spectacular scenery features sandstone cliffs, rugged red rock formations, desert vegetation and open vistas. The rare desert springs throughout the area are home to several rare and endemic species of plants and animals, as well as archaeological sites like petroglyphs, which are ancient rock art. First-time visitors shouldn't miss the interactive visitor center to learn more about the area. A 13-mile scenic drive twists and turns through the desert, with numerous spots to stop for photographs and hikes.
- Visitor Center: Daily 8am-4:30pm
- Scenic Loop (Nov-Feb): Daily 6am-5pm
- Scenic Loop (Mar): Daily 6am-7pm
- Scenic Loop (Apr-Sep): Daily 6am-8pm
- Scenic Loop (Oct): Daily 6am-7pm
Entry Per Vehicle $15 - $17
- Best Attractions & Activities: "The scenic drive at Red Rock Canyon NCA became so popular that a timed entry system was instituted in 2020. Reservations are now required for entry from October through May; check online for details."
- Things to Do with Kids: "For an easy hike suitable for all ages, try the Children's Discovery Trail. The trail leads visitors to a seasonal waterfall, and you'll find explanatory signage along the way."
- Things to Do in December: "In Las Vegas, winter is one of the best times to go explore Red Rock since temperatures are usually pleasant (sunny and around 60F), but winter can also bring rainy weather. Check the forecast before planning your outing."
- Parks: "The Red Rock Scenic Loop has become such a popular place to visit that the lines to get in can stretch far down the highway, and once the area reaches capacity it's closed. If the weather is temperate, be sure to arrive early in the day to ensure you can drive the Loop."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The natural beauty of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area attracts people from around the world for its awe-inspiring scenery.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Families can enjoy spectacular scenery, hiking and nature watching at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Fall and winter usually provide excellent weather for exploring the desert, and Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is just outside Las Vegas.
- Best for Parks Because: Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is the home of majestic multi-colored cliffs, hidden springs and miles of hiking trails.