Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Christina Nellemann
Truckee River Whitewater Park
Type: Active, Outdoor Activities, Outdoor Activities - Summer, Parks, Spectator Sports, Unusual, Water, Water Sports
The Truckee River Whitewater Park is right in the middle of downtown Reno, just a few blocks from the casinos. It is 2,600 feet long with class 2 and 3 rapids for kayakers, canoes and boats. It is... Read More
The Truckee River Whitewater Park is right in the middle of downtown Reno, just a few blocks from the casinos. It is 2,600 feet long with class 2 and 3 rapids for kayakers, canoes and boats. It is easily accessible from the shore and from the nearby Wingfield Park. There are five drop pools and 7,000 tons of smooth rocks to sit on along the river. Boaters and tubers can start anywhere along the park and go through several rapids, drops and marked tracks. Whitewater Park is a great place to hang out during the summer where there are weekend concerts and events including Artown. The pools are full of tubers during the hottest months and many of them can start up the river at Mayberry Park in Verdi.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "There are shallower areas in the water for children to play, but this is still a river and they must be able to swim."
- Free Things to Do: "If you want to tube from further upstream, put in at Mayberry Park or Crissie Caughlin Park. A Mayberry Park tube will take most of the day."
- Sightseeing, Parks, Best Things to Do: "There are shallower areas for children to play, but this is still a river and they must be watched."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Truckee River Whitewater Park is a great place to both kayak and go river tubing
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's free to bring your own gear to the river. In the summer there are rental vendors available in the park.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Even if you don't kayak or tube on the river, it's a fun place to people watch.
- Best for Parks Because: Wingfield Park, another one on this list, is located right in the middle of the Truckee River Whitewater Park.
- Recommended as Best Things to Do Because: In the Truckee River Whitewater Park you will see kayakers, swimmers and tubers – all within a few steps of downtown.