Explore Santa Fe
Photo courtesy of Steve Collins
Photo courtesy of El Rancho de las Golondrinas
El Rancho de las Golondrinas
Type: History Museums, Museums
Spanish Colonial history is a big part of the area's heritage. El Rancho de las Golondrinas, a living history village southwest of Santa Fe, recreates life in Spanish Colonial New Mexico. The property... Read More
Spanish Colonial history is a big part of the area's heritage. El Rancho de las Golondrinas, a living history village southwest of Santa Fe, recreates life in Spanish Colonial New Mexico. The property was originally a parejo (camping stop) on the historic El Camino Real, between Mexico City and Santa Fe. The original hacienda has been rebuilt and buildings were brought here from other New Mexico locations including a schoolhouse, mills, a blacksmith's, and a recreated Morada (a Penitente meeting house). On summer weekends Golondrinas comes alive with fairs and festivals. Docents wearing period attire demonstrate long-gone life skills including spinning, weaving, bread baking in ornos (outdoor clay and mud ovens), tin- and black-smithing, grain milling and other period activities. They raise heirloom crops and heritage livestock breeds. They're open Wednesday through Sunday from May through September. Hours are 10a.m. to 4p.m.
- Jun - Sep Wed-Sun 10am-4pm
- Self-Guided Tours Adult $6; Senior (62+) $4; Child (13-18) $4; Child (12 and under) Free
- Sightseeing: "Their most popular event is their annual Renaissance Fair where they put a Spanish spin on that historic era. If you want to, don a period costume and join the fun. There are loads of activities for the entire family."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Shop for unusual souvenirs and gifts at the Museum Shop. It features a carefully curated selection of traditional Spanish Colonial art and crafts made by New Mexico artisans who are descendants of the people who settled the area."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Santa Fe has a rich and diverse history. The Spanish Colonial era is part of the city's cultural foundation.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: El Rancho de las Golondrinas is the best place in Santa Fe to experience life as it during Spanish Colonial times.