Explore Santa Fe
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, opened in 1997, is the only museum in the world dedicated to a single woman artist. Their mission is to "perpetuate the artistic legacy of Georgia O'Keeffe and to the... Read More
The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, opened in 1997, is the only museum in the world dedicated to a single woman artist. Their mission is to "perpetuate the artistic legacy of Georgia O'Keeffe and to the study and interpretation of American Modernism (late nineteenth century - present)." In 2006 the Georgia O'Keeffe Foundation, custodians of her estate since her 1986 death, disbanded. Many of its assets including art work and her two Abiquiu homes, were transferred to the museum, which now boasts the largest collection of the artist's work in the world. Exhibitions, which change several times a year, include those focusing on O'Keeffe's work, shared exhibitions featuring her work alongside that of other relevant artists and shows dedicated to American Modernists. Take time to watch the two short videos, one on her life and one on her houses, shown continuously. Also take a moment to visit the gift shop.
- Nov: -; May Sat-Tue,; Thu; 10am-5pm
- Fri: 10am-8pm Jun; -; Oct Sat-Thu; 10am-5pm
- Fri: 10am-8pm
- Non-NM Residents Adult $8; Senior (60+) $7; Student (18+) $4; Child (17 and under) Free
NM Residents $4
- Museums: "If you're an O'Keeffe fan, include a visit to the Georgia O'Keeffe Home and Studio in Abiquiu in your Santa Fe itinerary. Reserve in advance; tours at the site, open seasonally, can book up way in advance."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you plan go to Abiquiu for the O'Keeffe Home and Studio Tour, also check out the O'Keeffe Landscape Tour at Ghost Ranch. You'll see places she painted while she lived there and get a glimpse of her home there. Advance reservations are recommended; it fills up."
- Best for Museums Because: Georgia O'Keeffe was one of the most celebrated artists of the 20th century. The museum honors her life and her work.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The name Georgia O'Keeffe, probably the best known woman artist in the world, is synonymous with Santa Fe.