Explore Santa Fe
Also Featured In
Museum of Indian Arts and Culture
Type: History Museums, Museums
The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture (MIAC) shares Museum Hill's Milner Plaza with the Museum of International Folk Art. Their mission is "to inspire appreciation for and knowledge of the diverse... Read More
The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture (MIAC) shares Museum Hill's Milner Plaza with the Museum of International Folk Art. Their mission is "to inspire appreciation for and knowledge of the diverse native arts, histories, languages, and cultures of the Greater Southwest." They do this through permanent and changing exhibitions. Discover historic art and artifacts from southwest indigenous people as well as contemporary pieces. The exhibitions also incorporate art from the first peoples throughout North America. There are two long-term exhibits. Here, Now, and Always is a timeline of Native American history from pre-Columbian times to the present. The other, the Buchsbaum Gallery of Southwestern Pottery, tells the story of the pottery traditions of the Pueblo People of New Mexico and Arizona from the earliest pieces discovered to contemporary ones. The museum also mounts short-term shows focusing on specific aspects of Native American art and culture.
- Summer: Daily 10am-5pm
- Off-Peak Season: Tue-Sun 10am-5pm
- NM Residents $6
- Museums: "While at the museum, visit the Colleen Cloney Duncan Museum Shop. The carefully curated merchandise on display includes books on Native Americans and their culture, handcrafted jewelry, pottery, kachinas, rugs and even a few inexpensive souvenirs."
- Sightseeing: "Looking for handcrafted American Indian items such as jewelry, pottery or other hand-crafted traditional objects? The Colleen Cloney Duncan Museum Shop is a great place to look. They offer an expertly chosen selection. Ask about new artists. You may discover one whose work will appreciate in value."
- Best for Museums Because: MIAC is a rich resource on the art and history of the state's original peoples and that of Native people throughout North America.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: American Indian history, art and culture are an integral part of Santa Fe's cultural legacy. The Museum of Indian Art and Culture expertly showcases it.