Explore Santa Fe
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Steve Collins
Photo courtesy of The Plaza Cafe
The Plaza Cafe
The Plaza Café, opened in 1905, has been run by the same family since 1947. It's a Santa Fe institution. The retro diner-like ambiance will have your feeling like you're in a time-warp. The large... Read More
The Plaza Café, opened in 1905, has been run by the same family since 1947. It's a Santa Fe institution. The retro diner-like ambiance will have your feeling like you're in a time-warp. The large menu also offers something for everyone, so it will please a lot of eaters. Diners will find anything from traditional New Mexican foods to sandwiches to comfort food s like turkey dinner and chicken fried steak. There are also salads and lighter fare. Remember the old Blue Plate specials? They're alive and well here. The no-frills spot, right on the historic Plaza, offers big portions at reasonable prices. They can be busy at prime meal times. Arrive either before or after the rush and you won't have to wait to be seated.
- Best Value: "If you're staying downtown and want a restaurant in walking distance with good-sized portions and reasonable pricing head for The Plaza. Santa Feans have been doing just that for over a century."
- Homestyle: "For an interesting twist, turn any of the comfort foods on the menu into a New Mexican treat. Instead of the traditional gravy or sauce, ask to have the dish smothered in red or green chile and have rice and beans on the side."
- Breakfast: "Ask your server about the "secret menu"; locals know about it and now you do, too. Made up of favorites no longer on the menu that loyal customers still want, like the chicken fried steak, New Mexican-style, which comes with red and green chile."
- Recommended as Best Value Because: The Plaza is a long-standing tradition in Santa Fe. Couple that with ample portions and reasonable pricing; it's a must for the list.
- Best for Homestyle Because: The Plaza is a long-standing tradition in Santa Fe. Couple that with extensive comfort food offerings and it's a must for the list.
- Best for Breakfast Because: Breakfast at the Plaza Café is a Santa Fe tradition. The Razatos family has been feeding hungry Santa Feans for over 60 years.