Explore Santa Fe
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Joy C. Frank-Collins
Photo courtesy of Bandelier National Monument
If you're interested in seeing cliff dwellings, head to Bandelier National Monument. Signs of human presence date back at least 10,000 years. The Tyuonyi Pueblo and cliff dwellings, ancestors to the... Read More
If you're interested in seeing cliff dwellings, head to Bandelier National Monument. Signs of human presence date back at least 10,000 years. The Tyuonyi Pueblo and cliff dwellings, ancestors to the current-day Cochiti Pueblo, were inhabited between about 1,400 and 1,500 AD. Other Pueblo peoples with ancestral ties to the monument's over 33,000 acres are San Felipe, San Ildefonso, Santa Clara, Santo Domingo and Zuni. Walk the Main Loop Trail past the remains of Tyuonyi and along the cliff dwellings. Ladders lead to caves and you can even crawl inside some. Kids and adults love it. Feel adventurous? Climb the three long wooden ladders to the Alcove House 140 feet above Frijoles Canyon. The park is open from dawn to dusk every day except Christmas and New Year's. Hours vary seasonally. In summer and fall, mandatory shuttles run from the White Rock Visitors Center from 9a.m. to 3p.m.
- Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 8am-6pm
- Winter: Daily 9am-4:30pm
- Apr & Sep-Oct: Daily 9am-5:30pm
- Entry Per Biker or Hiker $6
Entry Per Vehicle $12
Annual Pass $30
Camping $12 - $35
- Sightseeing: "After exploring Bandelier National Monument, check out Valles Caldera, a 13.7-mile wide volcanic bowl formed millions of years ago. If science interests you detour to Los Alamos, home of the WWII Manhattan Project, and the Bradbury Science Museum."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Don't want to ride the shuttle? If you arrive at Bandelier National Monument before 9a.m. or after 3p.m. you can drive directly to the site. If you do take the shuttle, it runs from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The last shuttle returns from the White Rock Visitors Center at 5p.m."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Many visitors to Santa Fe want to know about the area's Pueblo history and this is one of the important sites to visit.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Bandelier offers visitors a glimpse into lives of the historic pueblo people who lived here hundreds of years ago