Shade trees and rolling terrain lead the way through this lavishly landscaped historic cemetery. Started in 1849, the cemetery and gardens were part of a romantic movement to create aesthetically pleasing rural burial sites. Forest Lawn is the resting place of President Millard Fillmore and William D. Fargo. The grounds are exquisite and are listed in the National Historic Register.
This 1906 wonder is a fine example of ornate, glazed terracotta architecture.
Completed in 1901, this building is marked by a majestic tower and interior court. A former post office, it now serves as the downtown campus for Erie Community College.
Completed in 1876, Old County Hall received a major overhaul in 1925, with further additions in 1963. Its monumental tower stands high above the city.
Erected in 1895, this is formerly the world's largest office building. This architectural gem is built around a spacious interior court and features a gray terracotta exterior and glass-covered center.
Completed in 1896, this Romanesque masterpiece is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Designed by famed architect H H Richardson, who considered the building his finest achievement, the center is a striking example of his Romanesque style. Although no tours are available, still worth viewing from the grounds.
This 294-feet tall skyscraper was built in 1912 and is among the city's most beautiful sights. Noted for its glazed terracotta tower, the building casts a majestic figure when lit at night.
Keeping the art of vaudeville and the origins of film cinema alive are the goals of this theater. Originally built in 1926, the Historic Riviera Theatre today hosts concerts, plays, films, and dance, plus monthly Wurlitzer organ concerts. Check local listings for show times and admission.
The 13th President of the United States built this quaint wooden home. Millard Fillmore lived in this home while he had a local law practice. The home is still furnished with the belongings of the former President.
This National Historic Landmark was consecrated in 1851, with the towering spires added in 1870. In 1888, the church was nearly destroyed by fire, but after significant reconstruction, St. Paul's was reopened in 1890. Built of Medina sandstone, the church is marked by strong Gothic flourishes. NB A tour of St. Paul's is available as part of the "First Churches Tour"; stops by St. Louis' and First Presbyterian are included.