Explore New York
Grand Central Terminal
Type: Architecture, Attractions, Family Friendly, Free Attractions, Historic Sites, Public Transportation, Sightseeing
Said to be "Manhattan's only remaining great gateway," Grand Central Terminal (not "station" as it is often mistakenly called) is a magnificent example of art meeting functionality. The Beaux Arts... Read More
Said to be "Manhattan's only remaining great gateway," Grand Central Terminal (not "station" as it is often mistakenly called) is a magnificent example of art meeting functionality. The Beaux Arts facade that stretches along 42nd Street features a beautiful clock and crowning statues of Minerva, Mercury and Hercules. Inside the terminal, a vast blue ceiling twinkles with fiber optic lighting depicting the zodiac constellations, while one level below, sixty railroad tracks transport over 500,000 commuters a day. Since the building's revitalization, Grand Central has enticed visitors and locals alike, with quick bites and delicacies located in the Grand Central Market, fine cuisine in the Dining Concourse and free arts events in Vanderbilt Hall.
15 Vanderbilt Ave.
New York, NY 10017
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Docent-led tours Adult $30; Senior $20; Student $20; Military $20; Child $20
Self-guided tours Free - $10
- Free Things to Do: "Fun fact: check out the NW corner of the ceiling. See that patch of black? That's the color the entire ceiling (due to smoking) before they cleaned it."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Locate the whispering corners and surprise each other with some sweet nothings."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Look for the black patch on the ceiling in the NW corner. That's the color of the ceiling before it was cleaned and renovated - it's dirty because of the cigarette smoke of yore."
- Sightseeing: "Start your Sunday with a free walking tour of Grand Central. Tours kick off at 12:30PM."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's grandiose, but Grand Central Terminal is also filled with small wonders if you know where to look.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Grand Central Terminal is home to more than a handful of iconic parting shots of star-crossed lovers scurrying to catch their trains.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Grand Central Terminal is one of New York's tourist destinations that lives up to the hype.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Grand Central Terminal is one of New York City's shining jewels because of its architecture, its energy and its food.
- Tours and Excursions: "Start your weekend with a free no-reservations-required award-winning Walking Tour on Friday 12:30 PM of the Grand Central Neighborhood highlighting the Terminal and its neighbors."
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Because no other place in New York City quite reflects the dynamic energy that defines this town: New York City's most grand terminal and Dining Concourse.