Explore New York
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
Type: Active, Art & Culture, Art Museums, Children's Museums, City, Cultural Venues, Great Views, Historic Sites, History Museums, Museums, Tours and Excursions, Uniquely Here
These two sights represent freedom for millions of people, and the Statue of Liberty, a 450,000 pound gift from the people of France, is a must-see for anyone visiting the Big Apple. Access to the... Read More
These two sights represent freedom for millions of people, and the Statue of Liberty, a 450,000 pound gift from the people of France, is a must-see for anyone visiting the Big Apple. Access to the islands is via a Circle Lines ferry, and a timed pass is required. Ranger-led tours detail the history and technical aspects of the statue. Inside the base of Lady Liberty you'll find a number of exhibits and concessions, and the views from the observation deck of the city and harbor are unbeatable. Circle Lines recommends that guests arrive at least two hours in advance of their scheduled departure time. Reservations are essential – call 866-882-8834 or visit www.statuereservations.com.
- Memorial Day - Labor Day: Daily 8:30am-6:15pm
- Labor Day - Memorial Day: Daily 9:30am-5pm
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Adult $18; Senior (62+) $14; Child (4-12) $9; Child (0-3) Free
- Sightseeing: "If you're not interested in paying the hefty fees, hop on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and you'll still be able to sneak peeks at Lady Liberty."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Statue of Liberty is one of New York's most recognizable icons.
- Historic Sites: "Don't miss out on visiting the statue because it's only accessible by boat, set on a government-run island in the middle of New York Harbor; it's easy to work into your trip with some advance planning."
- Best for Historic Sites Because: On October 28, 1886, a million New Yorkers cheered the official dedication. Since then nine million immigrants passed through until 1954.
- Attractions near Cruise Port: "To avoid long lines, book your Statue of Liberty tickets online."
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: You can actually get a good view of the Statue of Liberty right from Brooklyn's cruise port. Or you can go see it directly.