Explore New York
Photo courtesy of JaysonPhotography/iStock
Photo courtesy of RobinsonBecquart/iStock
Type: Parks, Public Spaces
Eight hundred acres of green space in the middle of Manhattan sounds like a fable. And yet, that's exactly what Central Park is, which is why you'll find joggers, nature lovers and bikers getting... Read More
Eight hundred acres of green space in the middle of Manhattan sounds like a fable. And yet, that's exactly what Central Park is, which is why you'll find joggers, nature lovers and bikers getting their fix of greenery every day. In the winter, visitors can lace up their skates for a twirl at Wollman Rink, while summer favorites include the Central Park Zoo and the Friedsam Memorial Carousel. For lazier days, catch some rays with the sunbathers in Sheep Meadow or on the Great Lawn and if you stay after the sun goes down, you may be serenaded by one of the many live performances that occur here, including some by The Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic. There's no better place in the city to escape the city, making Central Park an oasis amongst the chaos right outside.
- Free Things to Do: "Don't try to make your plans here hard and fast. You'll likely get lost in the park - instead of stressing out, embrace it."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Visit Strawberry Fields, and don't forget to make a wish at Bethesda Fountain."
- Things to Do in Fall: "Take a map with you - it's easy to get lost."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Don't miss Strawberry Fields; it's decorated with flowers every morning as a vigil to Beatle, John Lennon."
- Sightseeing: "Don't miss Bethesda Fountain and Imagine Field, an homage to the great Beatle, John Lennon."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Central Park is as iconic as it gets. There's perhaps no better way to spend a free afternoon.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Central Park is a beacon for romance, and the perfect place for a couple to spend some time strolling through the streets.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: It's the iconic urban oasis and a great place to watch the leaves change colors.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: No trip to New York City is complete without a stroll through Central Park.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: No trip to NYC would be complete without a walk through this legendary and exceptional park.
- Things to Do with Kids: "If you have kids who love to climb, consider taking them to Heckscher Playground, with a climbing net, bridges and even an actual cliff. Pack a picnic to enjoy at the top."
- Parks: "Central Park is 150 years old, visited by millions, now it's your turn to experience one of the most famous parks in the world, a man made wonder and the green heart of the city."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Lush greenery is a bit hard to come by in New York City, so families relish the opportunity to blow off steam in Central Park.
- Best for Parks Because: Stroll among 50 fountains, monuments, sculptures, 36 bridges; Central Park Zoo, fun, educational with creature comforts for all ages.