Explore New York
Also Featured In
A true lesson in urban renewal, the High Line is built on an abandoned railroad line elevated above Manhattan's westside. Running from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to Midtown's W.... Read More
A true lesson in urban renewal, the High Line is built on an abandoned railroad line elevated above Manhattan's westside. Running from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to Midtown's W. 34th Street, the High Line has quickly become a favorite spot for couples. Dotted along the grated overpass are food stalls, restaurant pop-ups and magnificent overlooks. To do it best, go on a Tuesday in the summer and amble along until you find Terroir, a wine bar near 15th Street. Grab a glass of vino at dusk, and then make your way a few blocks south to hook up with the Amateur Astronomers Association stargazers who've set up telescopes and offer explanations of what's going on in the sky.
runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues.
New York, NY 10011
- Dec 1 to Mar 31 7AM-7PM; April 1 to May 31 7AM-10PM
- June 1 to Sept 30 7 AM-11PM; Oct 1 to Nov 30 7AM-10PM
- Romantic Things to Do: "On Tuesdays from April through October, join the star-spotters to see constellations through high-powered telescopes."
- Sightseeing: "Try to plan your trip for a weekday afternoon. The weekends are jam-packed and hoards of people detract from the experience."
- Free Things to Do: "If you're able to swing it, go during the week and avoid the weekend crowds."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you're able, head here midweek to beat the crowds."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: It's romantic, even though that defies logic. Hanging lights and wooden walkways add to the charm.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: It's a living, breathing example of how to go from ruins to riches in terms of decaying city landscapes.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's the perfect place to feel like you're still in the action but away from the madness below.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It's part of what makes New York so great – taking something old and decrepit and turing it into a beloved hotspot.
- Parks: "Star-spotters arrive on Tuesdays, Amateur Astronomers Night to see constellations through high-powered telescopes. Combine with Chelsea Market lunch; the new Whitney Museum of American Art."
- Best for Parks Because: Amazing urban reuse design and landscape architecture that is inspiring; the views incomparable.