International Rose Test Gardens
Type: Gardens, Parks
Not only will you see roses that you've never seen before here, you will also have an incredible view of the city and Mt. Hood from these terraced gardens. Instituted in 1917, the gardens give trial... Read More
Not only will you see roses that you've never seen before here, you will also have an incredible view of the city and Mt. Hood from these terraced gardens. Instituted in 1917, the gardens give trial runs to various rose hybrids before they're introduced into the mass market. With over 8000 plants representing more than 400 different species, this garden is sure to have at least one rose type that captivates you. Should you find yourself tempted, however, know that it's illegal to pick any of the blooms. Summer is the best time to visit the displays and is also when you'll find a repertoire of seasonal concerts available in the gardens. The Washington Park Rose Garden Store offers unusual items for both the home and garden.
- Daily Sunrise-Sunset
- Free; donations welcome
- Free Things to Do: "If possible visit between June and August. Do not pick any of the roses or you will be fined."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Although there are no blooms it's worth the trip in winter just for the view."
- Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "Visit between June and August if possible. Do not pick any of the roses."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Portland's Rose Garden is breathtaking in summer and there is no admission cost.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: During the warmer months, this Rose Garden is a must-see attraction in Portland.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: The International Rose Test Garden is an outstanding garden in downtown Portland.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The International Rose Test Garden is breath taking and should be a must when visiting Portland.