Also Featured In
Eastern State Penitentiary
Type: Attractions, Family Friendly, Historic Sites, Tours and Excursions
When it opened it doors in 1829, Eastern State Penitentiary was the world's first true "penitentiary," a prison designed to inspire penitence among convicts. Today, the massive structure stands in... Read More
When it opened it doors in 1829, Eastern State Penitentiary was the world's first true "penitentiary," a prison designed to inspire penitence among convicts. Today, the massive structure stands in ruins as one of Philadelphia's most historic sites. Visitors can tour this haunting building that once held America's most notorious criminals, including gangster Al Capone. Narrated by actor Steve Buscemi, the audio tour offers an intimate and informative look at Eastern State's storied cellblocks and yards. Take the tour, explore the buildings, view the crumbling cells, see where prisoners tried to escape through incredible means, and imagine all that may have gone on within those walls.
- Daily 10am-5pm
- Contact for Specific Dates and Times
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Regular admission Adult $12; Senior $10; Student $8; Child (7-12) $8
Terror Behind the Walls (end of Sept-beg of Nov only) $20 - $30
- Best Attractions & Activities: "The Terror Behind the Walls Halloween haunted house gets all the press but there are plenty of activities year-round, including the annual Bastille Day reenactment and festival, artist installations and hands-on experiences."
- Tours and Excursions, Sightseeing, Historic Sites: "Remember that the prison is cooler, so head here with that in mind, and be sure to check this place out at Halloween when they host one of the scariest walk-throughs in the nation."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The history and the incredible architecture of this building are a wonder in and of itself, and totally worthy of a visit.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: For a truly out-of-the-ordinary and architecturally cool way to spend some time, take this tour and imagine how life would have been spent here.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Nothing beats this iconic and haunting building for an incredible and offbeat experience.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: There's something incredibly interesting about an old prison; picturing the stories that took place here, and taking in the haunting, crumbling surroundings.