Also Featured In
Independence National Historical Park
Type: Historic Sites, Sightseeing, Tours and Excursions
Learn about Colonial America's most important political city and the founding of the nation by exploring some of the 20 city blocks that comprise Independence National Historical Park. While a walk... Read More
Learn about Colonial America's most important political city and the founding of the nation by exploring some of the 20 city blocks that comprise Independence National Historical Park. While a walk along its cobblestoned streets reveals dozens of the colonies' first institutions of education, religion, culture and service, if you're in a rush head straight to Independence Mall, which houses the Liberty Bell Center and Independence Hall, where the founding fathers debated and signed the U.S. Constitution. If you've got a little more time, stroll through Independence Square, where the Declaration of Independence was read publicly for the first time, and be sure to tour Ben Franklin's post office and printing shop. Start at Independence Visitors Center for a reference point and required timed tickets to some of the (free) attractions.
- Visitor's Center: Mon-Thu 8:30am-5pm; Fri-Sun 8:30am-6pm
- Most Buildings: Daily 9am-5pm
- Best Attractions & Activities, Sightseeing: "Nighttime visits to this park often feature interesting displays of light that make it quite a different experience than during the daytime."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Get free, timed tickets to visit Independence Hall and see the Declaration of Independence and an original copy of the Bill of Rights."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: No visit to Philadelphia is complete without a stop on the most historic square mile in the country. See where the colonists created history.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: This National Park is home to some of the most important buildings in our country's history, and they're fun and interesting to see and explore.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: With all of the wonderful historical sights in the city, this location covers so many in one shot.