Philadelphia Museum of Art
Type: Architecture, Art & Culture, Art Museums, Classes or Instruction, Editor's Picks, Family Friendly, Museums
This most world-class of art museums offer a stellar collection of art pieces from incredible artists such as Van Gogh, Monet, Pissarro, Picasso, and Rodin. Surrealist art is well represented by Dali,... Read More
This most world-class of art museums offer a stellar collection of art pieces from incredible artists such as Van Gogh, Monet, Pissarro, Picasso, and Rodin. Surrealist art is well represented by Dali, De Chirico, Max Ernst, and Magritte, with pre-modernist work from the likes of Canaletto and Guardi. Numerous theme rooms display a vast collection of textiles and ancient artifacts, including 8000-year old Asian pieces, in rooms that surround visitors with the appropriate architecture and décor. The first Sunday of every month, as well as Wednesdays after 5 are pay-what-you-wish. Concessions are courtesy of celebrity restaurateur Stephen Starr. Even if you do not go inside this wonderful building, stop by to appreciate the outside, run up the front steps Rocky Balboa style, or visit the famed Rocky Statue nearby for a great photo opportunity.
2600 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Main Building: Tue-Thu, Sat-Sun 10am-5pm; Fri 10am-8:45pm
- Perelman Building: Tue-Sun 10am-5pm
- Main Building Adult $16; Senior (65+) $14; Student $12; Child (13-18) $12; Child (12 and under) Free
Perelman Building Adult $8; Senior (65+) $7; Student $6; Child (13-18) $6; Child (12 and under) Free
- Best Attractions & Activities: "On Friday afternoons, Art After Five turns the museum into a cocktail party with late hours, live music, and hors d'oeuvres and beverages for purchase."
- Museums, Sightseeing: "Be sure to leave time to enjoy the azalea gardens behind the museum if you're there on a sunny day."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Many people visit this museum simply to run up the steps or visit the Rocky Statue nearby, although it houses truly incredible works of art.
- Best for Museums Because: No visit to Philadelphia is complete without a visit here, whether you head inside or just run up the steps!
- Best for Sightseeing Because: For may folks, this sight is equivalent to a visit to Philadelphia with many great works of art as well as the Rocky Statue.