O Pitéu da Graça
Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Portuguese
Price Range: $
Very often it's the simplest and entirely unassuming of restaurants that serve the most memorable meals, and this humble eatery does just that! Of course, the locals have known this for years. The... Read More
Very often it's the simplest and entirely unassuming of restaurants that serve the most memorable meals, and this humble eatery does just that! Of course, the locals have known this for years. The menu is right up their street, an appetising cookbook of homemade fare drawn from traditional recipes handed down from generation to generation. Dishes such as filetes de cherne com arroz de tomate e pimentos (turbot fillet with tomato and pepper rice) and rojes minhota (spiced and marinated chunks of roast pork Minho-style) celebrate the country's diverse regional gastronomy, plates that positively sing with colour and flavour. Enjoyed with a jug of house red over gossip and laughter, a meal here is to taste the culture of Portuguese cuisine.
- Best Value, Alfama/Graça's Best Restaurants: "The number 28 tram pulls up just across the road from the front door."
- Best Restaurants: "Tram 28 trundles right past the front door. The streetcar snakes up to Graça from the Baixa (downtown) at regular intervals."
- Homestyle: "A novel way to arrive at the restaurant is by streetcar: the number 28 tram stops almost opposite the door."
- Family Friendly: "Try their rojões à minhota (spiced and marinated chunks of roast pork Minho-style), a typical dish from northern Portugal."
- Recommended as Best Value Because: Over the years the food at this delightfully down-to-earth eatery has got better and better while prices have remained absurdly low.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: The homemade food is delicious and inexpensive, and some of the city's top chefs come here to enjoy the bonhomie and "Grandma cooking".
- Best for Homestyle Because: Regarded by several top chefs as the best place in Lisbon to enjoy homestyle Portuguese cuisine, O Pitéu do Graça remains delightfully unassuming and accessible.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: Long revered for its traditional cuisine, O Pitéu do Graça maintains a humble and authentic character that's immediately appealing and familiar.
- Best for Alfama/Graça's Best Restaurants Because: Some of the best chefs in Lisbon dine at O Pitéu da Graça on their days off - the ultimate endorsement of good food.