Cuisine: European, Portuguese, Seafood
Price Range: $
They don't stand on ceremony at this tiny tasca, set on a side street just off Praca do Principe Real. But then that's not really the point. Instead, this rustic and informal eatery is feted for its... Read More
They don't stand on ceremony at this tiny tasca, set on a side street just off Praca do Principe Real. But then that's not really the point. Instead, this rustic and informal eatery is feted for its traditional Portuguese cuisine, served promptly and without fuss. Indeed, all you need to do is turn up to savour regional dishes from across the country. The menu also features some unusual delicacies, including corvine â" a thick cut steak of croaker fish, grilled to perfection, or chocos assados com tinta (cuttlefish grilled in its own ink). More conventional palates are also catered for: if you want an omelette, just ask. The wine list is selective but good â" the house red is very often a wholly agreeable Ermelinda Freitas.
Rua do Seculo 242-4
+351 21 342 7578
- Mon-Sat Noon-3pm, 7pm-11:30pm
- Bairro Alto/Principe Real's Best Restaurants, Casual Dining: "Besides offering an authentic taste of Portugal, this wonderful little restaurant is excellent value for money, but you'll need to turn up early to secure a table."
- Best Value: "Besides offering an authentic taste of Portugal, this wonderful little restaurant is excellent value for money. But you'll need to turn up early to secure a table."
- Homestyle: "There are only ten tables available so it's best to turn up early to bag a place."
- Best for Bairro Alto/Principe Real's Best Restaurants Because: Tasty no-nonsense food served with minimum fuss, Tascardoso is a rustic gem set in a busy capital city.
- Recommended as Best Value Because: A favourite with locals who know what they want and how much it should cost. So why not join them?
- Best for Homestyle Because: Good-sized portions at exceptional value for money endear Tascardoso to a loyal clientele, so join the locals.
- Best for Casual Dining Because: A little-known gastronomic gem, Tascardoso is highly regarded by locals, but out-of-towners and foreigners are catching on fast.
Find the 10Best nearby: