Also Featured In
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Type: Attractions, Family Friendly, Historic Sites, Religious Sites, Romantic, Sightseeing
Deserving of its UNESCO World Heritage status, this beautiful and exuberant monastery dates from the early 16th-century and stands as a tribute to the golden Age of Discovery, that period in time when... Read More
Deserving of its UNESCO World Heritage status, this beautiful and exuberant monastery dates from the early 16th-century and stands as a tribute to the golden Age of Discovery, that period in time when Portuguese navigators sailed unknown oceans to discover strange new lands. The greatest of them all, Vasco da Gama, set foot in India in 1498 to initiate the lucrative spice trade, and it's in his honour that the monastery was commissioned by King Manuel I in 1501. Spend time in this hallowed building admiring the fabulous filigree architecture; the spectacular nave features an impressive vaulted ceiling. The silent arcaded cloister is especially rich in ornamentation and perfectly evokes the romanticism surrounding those brave and intrepid explorers.
- Romantic Things to Do: "Look out for Vasco da Gama's tomb positioned inside monastery on the left-hand side of the entrance."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Don't miss the "A Place in Time" permanent exhibition staged in the old library that chronicles the monastery's 500-year history."
- Sightseeing: "If you visit Sunday morning, entrance is free. Alternatively, arrive late afternoon long after the tour buses have departed."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: One of Portugal's most revered historical landmarks, the monastery features some of the finest Manueline architecture in the country.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: One of Portugal's greatest historic monuments, Jerónimos is also among the most celebrated of European monasteries and deserving of its World Heritage status.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The more controlled organisation of this official tour allows passengers to thoroughly absorb the sightseeing experience in total comfort.