Explore Hong Kong
Also Featured In
Po Lin Monastery
Type: Religious Sites
Po Lin translates to "precious lotus," and this monastery is one of the most famous of Hong Kong's numerous attractions. In addition to being one of the most opulent and grandest temples in the... Read More
Po Lin translates to "precious lotus," and this monastery is one of the most famous of Hong Kong's numerous attractions. In addition to being one of the most opulent and grandest temples in the country, this is also home to the famous "Big Buddha," which measures more than 100 feet high. Made of bronze and seated in the mythical cross-legged repose, this statue is an attraction on its own. The views of the countryside are spectacular, and an excellent vegetarian cuisine is served by monks in the canteen. Most people come here by road or cable car, both exciting journeys in themselves.
- Romantic Things to Do, Sightseeing, Tours and Excursions: "If you're reasonably fit, it's perfectly possible to hike up here either from Tung Chung or Shek Pik Reservoir."
- Free Things to Do: "Po Lin is connected to the rest of Lantau by numerous hiking trails, a great way to get here, and by cable car from Tung Chung."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "A large restaurant inside Po Lin Monastery serves vegetarian Cantonese dishes. Vegetables such as mushrooms, tofu and eggplant are used to mimic the taste and texture of meat and poultry."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The Big Buddha's bucolic location atop a mountain is truly inspirational.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: This is quite the most spectacular of Hong Kong's religious sites.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: You can't ask for a bigger contrast to downtown Hong Kong than this hilltop retreat with its superb views.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The panoramic location is matched by a great atmosphere as hordes of devotees come to pay their respects.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Making the ascent to Po Lin Monastery is like a mini pilgrimage.