Explore Hong Kong
Also Featured In
A hidden gem of Hong Kong, this fishing town is where Hong Kongers retreat for sea-swimming, kayaking and some of the city's best seafood. The center of the town is a 1,000-meter-long street lined... Read More
A hidden gem of Hong Kong, this fishing town is where Hong Kongers retreat for sea-swimming, kayaking and some of the city's best seafood. The center of the town is a 1,000-meter-long street lined with seafood stalls. Each looks like a mini aquarium as the boss displays an amazing array of freshly-caught seafood for diners to order. Across the street, fishermen sell curious looking catch right off the boat at the pier. Many of them also offer sailing trips around the surrounding islands for around US$20. Some six kilometers south of the seafood street is Trio Beach, a nice soft-sand stretch with calm and clean water, relaxed atmosphere and opportunities for seaside barbecue. For the truly energetic type, Sai Kung Country Park provides some of the most challenging but rewarding hiking experiences through mountains to beaches.
Sai Kung, Sai Kung Peninsula, New Territories, Hong Kong
- Daily Noon-Midnight
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Sightseeing: "Tour operator Kayak and Hike organizes kayak trips from Sai Kung waterfront to marine life-abundant Ung Kong Wan."
- Free Things to Do: "Sai Kung is a popular weekend getaway, which can lead to lengthy traffic jams; Monday-Friday is the best time to visit."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Hire a sampan for a trip around the harbor if the weather is good."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: There's something very laid-back about Sai Kung, and especially in the older parts of town.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Sai Kung is one of the most entertaining towns in all of Hong Kong.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The traditional fishing town offers breath-taking views, great beaches, thrilling outdoor activities and the city's freshest seafood.