Head North out of downtown Charleston on US 17/US 1-26 N, keep to the right when crossing the Ravenel Bridge. Follow the signs to Sullivan's Island, passing expansive marsh and wetlands during a 15 -... Read More
Head North out of downtown Charleston on US 17/US 1-26 N, keep to the right when crossing the Ravenel Bridge. Follow the signs to Sullivan's Island, passing expansive marsh and wetlands during a 15 - 20 minute drive from the peninsula. Sullivan's Island, one of three area beaches in Charleston, offers a quiet, more relaxed and less touristy setting than nearby Folly Beach. Sullivan's Island is known for its impressive beach homes, smooth sand beaches, and popular restaurants on its main streets. Each beach access, or beach station, is numbered by a grey stone markers, making it easy to meet up with other groups. Alcohol is prohibited on Sullivan's Island beach.
100 Station 19 St
Sullivan's Island, SC 29482
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Head toward the higher numbered stations for the giant sandbar and tidal pool, a favorite spot for local kids."
- Outdoor Activities: "Look for stone markers labeled with station numbers in order to find the beach access points on Sullivan's Island."
- Free Things to Do: "Head for the lowest or highest stations if you're seeking a more secluded area. Middle-numbered stations tend to be the most popular."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Before or after your romantic sunset beach stroll, make a reservation at The Obstinate Daughter, an intimate Italian restaurant within walking distance of the beach."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Many locals name Sullivan's Island as their favorite Charleston-area beach--seldom crowded, with plenty of room to spread out, and plenty of great, post-beach day restaurants.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: With it's beautiful coastal homes and wide flat beachfront, Sullivan's Island is one of Charleston's most idyllic spots.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Sullivan's Island offers some of the most beautiful beaches in South Carolina, and a main street filled with restaurants, beach bars and a gelato shop.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Sullivan's Island at sunset is a beautiful sight to behold, and is often less crowded day and night than other area beaches like Folly.