Also Featured In
Gus's World Famous Hot & Spicy Fried Chicken
Cuisine: American, Soul Food
Price Range: $
The basic brick building on South Front might scare some folks away â" but trust us, walk in and load up. Gus's is a franchise of the original in Mason, about an hour from Memphis; that eatery... Read More
The basic brick building on South Front might scare some folks away â" but trust us, walk in and load up. Gus's is a franchise of the original in Mason, about an hour from Memphis; that eatery opened in 1953 and the chicken was served up in a paper sack. This is the real deal spicy, crunchy, and juicy, served with white bread. And be patient - your particular order doesn't hit the oil until you've ordered. Cold beer (served up in 40-ounce cans) is a nice contrast to the hot chicken. Sides and starters include fried pickles and green tomatoes, beans and slaw, and strangely enough â" fried rice. Assuming you have any room left, chess pie is the way to go for dessert.
- Downtown, Homestyle, Best Value, Take Out: "There are also locations in East Memphis and Collierville for those who can't make it downtown."
- Family Friendly: "One of the many secrets of Gus's delish chicken is the spice level, which we'd rate as medium to high, depending on the cook that day.If your kids are spice-adverse, you might want to wait until their palate is more developed to bring them to Gus's."
- Lunch: "Water, tea, cola - whatever your beverage of choice, keep it handy - you'll need it close to cool off the kick of spice that makes Gus's fried chicken an iconic dish."
- Best for Downtown Because: We just can't resist Gus's - and love the mixed crowd of tourists, locals, and fried chicken lovers we meet here.
- Best for Homestyle Because: We are simply addicted to Gus's spicy recipe and crunchy batter - the ultimate comfort food that's a pure taste of home.
- Recommended as Best Value Because: You can order by the piece at Gus's - and for about $5, get a huge fried chicken breast and thigh.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: Gus's is a perfect place for the family - sides are sized for sharing.
- Best for Lunch Because: Gus's is quick a easy - and if you follow that 'eat like a prince at lunch' advice, the perfect choice for a filling meal.
- Best for Take Out Because: It's simple: if we take out, no one know how much fried chicken we've consumed.