Dixon Gallery and Gardens
Type: Art Museums, Gardens, Museums, Outdoor Activities - Summer
Since 1976, this museum has housed a spectacular Impressionist collection including Degas, Monet and Pisarro, and the collection of art is rivaled only by the gorgeous gardens surrounding what was... Read More
Since 1976, this museum has housed a spectacular Impressionist collection including Degas, Monet and Pisarro, and the collection of art is rivaled only by the gorgeous gardens surrounding what was once one of Memphis' finest estates. The late Hugo and Margaret Dixon willed the house and grounds to the people of Memphis in order to establish this museum. The original Dixon collection included works by French and American Impressionists. Traveling exhibits are usually exquisite collections based on a certain theme or time period, and while small in scope are rich with offerings. Special concerts and picnic opportunities are offered from spring through fall in the gardens, many with no admission required.
4339 Park Ave
Memphis, TN 38117
- Tue-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat 10am-5pm, Sun 1pm-5pm
- Adult $7; Senior (65+) $5; Student $5; Child (7-17) $3; Child (6 and under) Free
- Romantic Things to Do: "The Dixon is open late on the third Thursday of the month - a great time to take a romantic stroll through the masterpieces in the gallery and gardens."
- Free Things to Do: "Tuesdays are another discount day, with 'pay what you can day', with visitors setting their own admission prices for entrance between 10 am and 2 pm."
- Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Museums: "Tuesdays are pay what you can days, with visitors setting their own admission prices for entrance between 10 am and 2 pm."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The Dixon is all about passion - that of the family who bequeathed their home and collection to the city.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: In addition to the free Saturday morning admissions,many special concerts and picnic opportunities are offered in the gardens at no charge.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Dixon is an artful respite that's at once serene and stunning, and a delight for the sense.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: The Dixon is small but mighty in terms of its gardens, and offers solitude and beauty both inside and out.
- Best for Museums Because: The Dixon is a little gem, with exhibits put together by curators who truly understand how to tell a story with objects d'art.
Find the 10Best nearby: