Also Featured In
Mud Island River Park & Mississippi River Museum
Type: History Museums, Museums
Mud Island is reached by an aerial tram (you may remember it from the Tom Cruise movie, The Firm) and features a to-scale model of the Mississippit River that one can walk along, noting the changing... Read More
Mud Island is reached by an aerial tram (you may remember it from the Tom Cruise movie, The Firm) and features a to-scale model of the Mississippit River that one can walk along, noting the changing conditions of the river. The Mississippi River Museum explores the 10,000-year history of the Mississippi, noting how it developed and what the areas around it have drawn from the river. The Belle of the Bluffs, the reconstructed front half of an 1870s steamboat, complete with cotton bales stacked on the lower deck and water lapping at the hull. The Memphis Blues exhibit highlights the music of the Delta blues, New Orleans jazz, early rock 'n roll, and Elvis. Mud Island's pay-one-price package includes entry to the museum, a round-trip monorail ride, and a guided tour of the five-block scale model of the Mississippi.
125 N Front St
Memphis, TN 38103
- Memorial Day - Labor Day: Daily 9am-6pm
- Labor Day - Oct: Daily 9am-5pm
- Nov - Memorial Day: Daily 10am-5pm
- Adult $15; Senior (65+) $13; Child (3-17) $10
- Things to Do with Kids, Sightseeing, Museums, Attractions near FedExForum: "The Mud Island River Park and the Mississippi River Museum are open April - October."
- Historic Sites: "Kids (and adults) can feel free to splash in the giant fountain at the end of the river display - so think about a change of clothing."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Kids are enchanted by the long ramble along the outdoor river model.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Mud Island is a great primer on Memphis history - with the added bonus of river views.
- Best for Museums, Historic Sites Because: The museum does a fantastic job of telling the story of the river and how it shaped the city's history.
- Best for Attractions near FedExForum Because: Mud Island's riverfront location is just a few blocks west of the Forum - and it's a great way to experience the history of the river.