Mud Island River Park
Type: Attractions, Family Friendly, Great Views, Museums, Outdoor Activities - Summer, Parks
Taking advantage of an island that sprang up in the Mississippi in the early 20th century, this park offers a variety of attractions. Among them are the Mississippi River Museum which tracks both the... Read More
Taking advantage of an island that sprang up in the Mississippi in the early 20th century, this park offers a variety of attractions. Among them are the Mississippi River Museum which tracks both the river's development and the culture and towns that grew up along its route. Along the island, the River Walk, a scale model of the Mississippi's path, allows visitors to follow the Big Muddy from its start in Minnesota to its final destination, the Gulf of Mexico. The flow of the model river mimics that of the real one. The Mud Island amphitheater attracts top names in music, a monorail offers fun overviews of the area, and bike and pedal boat rentals provide energetic folks the chance to venture further afield. Restaurants and gift shops are also available on the 52-acre island.
- Wed-Sun 10am-8pm
- Park Admission Adult (12+) $10; Child (0-4) Free; Child (5-12) $8
- Best Attractions & Activities: "The Museum portion of the park is closing on July 5, 2018, for renovations."
- Outdoor Activities: "Throughout its season, Mud Island offers families the chance to camp out under the stars; the $40 per person fee includes dinner, live entertainment and a campfire with marshmallows. Space is limited so reservations are a must."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Mud Island is the best way to get up close to the Mississippi, as well as to understand its history and importance.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Mud Island is our fave spot for an overview of the city, both figuratively and literally; learn some history, explore the Mississippi and more.
Find the 10Best nearby: