Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Memphs CVB
Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Stax is one of our favorite museums and must-hits in Memphis - and the gift store at this museum of American soul music is one of our favorite stores in town, too. In addition to all the greatest... Read More
Stax is one of our favorite museums and must-hits in Memphis - and the gift store at this museum of American soul music is one of our favorite stores in town, too. In addition to all the greatest music from the label, Stax offers music-themed gifts - plenty with retro flair. We've bought silk ties with a print of 45 adapators (if you have to ask, then forget it) and colorful paper coasters, as well as more traditional t-shirts with the funky Stax logo. Since Grammy-winning saxophonist Kirk Whalum came to Stax as head of the Stax Foundation, the shop has also started carrying lots of colorful logo'd baseball caps...very likely a nod to Whalum's signature style.
- Apr: -; Oct Mon-Sat; 10am-5pm
- Sun: 1pm-5pm Nov; -; Mar Tue-Sat; 10am-5pm
- Sun: 1pm-5pm
- Adult $12; Senior (62+) $11; Student $11; Military $11; Child (9-12) $9; Child (8 and under) Free
- Best for Christmas Shopping Because: There's no better gift than the CD 'Stax Number Ones' - it's an American classic, easy to wrap, and travels nicely.
- Best for Gift Shops Because: There's no better shop in town for a real taste of the Memphis sound - plus all sales help fund the charter school for gifted musicians.
- Best for Elvis Shops Because: Elvis recorded three albums at Stax in 1973; these were his last major recording sessions.