Also Featured In
Central is one of our favorites, thanks to the huge patio that's open during fine weather (often with a band tucked into the corner), the homemade potato chips with bleu cheese dressing, which our... Read More
Central is one of our favorites, thanks to the huge patio that's open during fine weather (often with a band tucked into the corner), the homemade potato chips with bleu cheese dressing, which our table of six agreed recently were the work of the devil, they're so delicious, or maybe it's just the atmosphere - fun and funky, with that aroma of smoking meat wafting from the pit. The magic numbers for Central are 250 (as in degrees) and 14 (the number of hours meat is cooked). The pork is always tender, the ribs have just the right balance of crust on top and moisture inside. Probably our favorite dish is the pork barbecue nachos, which feature a two cheeses - the melt-y nacho cheese down under, then a layer of pulled pork, then shredded cheese on top. Y-U-M. Central's patio is always hopping, and many times there's a band on Friday nights, or Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The beer selection focuses on local brews like Ghost River, and the staff - from the counter help to the food runners - are super-friendly. A second location is further east, at 4375 Summer Avenue.
- Cooper-Young's Best Restaurants, Barbecue, Family Friendly, Restaurants near Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Outdoor Dining: "Barbecue joints in Memphis tend to close shop earlier than most other restaurants, so be sure to arrive at Central with plenty of time to enjoy your meal - by 8:30 most nights, as the restaurant closes at 9 daily."
- Best for Cooper-Young's Best Restaurants Because: Central is simply our favorite barbecue joint in town, hands down.
- Best for Barbecue Because: Central is simply our overall favorite for all things 'que - especially its pulled pork nachos.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: On the weekend, live music on the patio make Central a perfect spot for family, plus parents can enjoy cold beer with their 'cue.
- Best for Restaurants near Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium Because: Barbecue nachos, a large patio, local beers and the best pork sandwich in town - that's Central.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: Central's patio is pretty darn basic - but always buzzing.