Dallas Museum of Art
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The sprawling 370,000-square-foot Dallas Museum of Art, designed by New York architect Edward Larrabee Barnes, offers one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation. Its... Read More
The sprawling 370,000-square-foot Dallas Museum of Art, designed by New York architect Edward Larrabee Barnes, offers one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation. Its permanent holdings, dating back from the third millennium BC to the present day-- encompasses over 23,000 works of paintings, sculptures, jewelry and artifacts from all over the world. Here, you'll find masterpieces from heavy hitters such as Pollock, Rothko, Monet, Rodin and Picasso to name a few. Beyond the galleries, the museum houses a children's creative zone, a sculpture garden and a cafe featuring a window of Dale Chihuly's glass flowers. And with the exception of certain exhibitions and events, general admission to the museum is always free.
- Downtown Dallas' Best Attractions: "Free general admission entry to the DMA now requires a timed ticket secured in advance in order to maintain limited capacity. Also note that as of April 2021, all visitors and employees are required to wear face masks while visiting the Museum."
- Free Things to Do: "Note that DMA now requires a timed ticket secured in advance in order to maintain a limited capacity."
- Family-Friendly Museums: "The museum offers family audio tours geared for 5-11-year-old children. The tours are available at the Visitor Services desk and are free. Also, be sure to check out an Art to Go family activity tote, which can be found at the Pop-Up Art Spot on Saturdays."
- Museums: "The museum is open until 11 p.m. on the third Friday of the month. Note that Late Night tickets are required after 5 p.m."
- Things to Do in Fall: "Timed tickets, which can be purchased online, are required for all visitors to the Dior exhibition. Children 11 and under are free. Park your car for free in the West Village complex on McKinney Avenue and ride the complimentary trolley straight to the museum."
- Best for Downtown Dallas' Best Attractions, Museums Because: The Dallas Museum of Art houses one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The DMA boasts world-class art and offers a slew of activities for every age to enjoy.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The Dallas Museum of Art offers activities for every age group, plus you can't go wrong with free admission.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: The Dior exhibition at the Dallas Museum of Art is a must-see for fashionistas of any age.
- Attractions near American Airlines Center: "Free admission is offered on the first Tuesday of each month. Also, students and teachers (with valid school IDs) get free admission every Thursday night."
- Best for Attractions near American Airlines Center Because: The Dallas Museum of Art is perfect for art lovers staying near the American Airlines Center.