Also Featured In
Type: Family Friendly, Zoos
Boasting over 2000 animals from roughly 400 species, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo, founded in 1888, is the largest and oldest zoological park in the state. But there's more going on here than your usual... Read More
Boasting over 2000 animals from roughly 400 species, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo, founded in 1888, is the largest and oldest zoological park in the state. But there's more going on here than your usual walk-through animal exhibits. Most of the enclosures have been constructed to replicate the animals' natural environments. Among them include the 11-acre Giants of the Savanna, the only zoo exhibit in the United States to mix elephants and other species in the same habitat. There's also a children's zoo, daily animal demonstrations, and a monorail safari through areas not accessible by foot. Want to take your zoo experience to the next level? Then be sure to reserve a spot on the 90-minute backstage safari for a truly memorable behind-the-scenes tour. Check the website for dates and times.
- Outdoor Activities: "Score $2 off admission (Mondays and Tuesdays) by riding DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) to the zoo and presenting your DART pass at the ticket counter. Also, note that the Dallas Zoo is included in Dallas CityPASS."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Check sites like Groupon for discounted tickets. The Zoo also offers specials in the winter and summer seasons."
- Things to Do with Kids: "You can frequently find discounted tickets on sites such as Groupon."
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: A trip to the Dallas Zoo is one of the best ways to keep everyone in the family entertained outdoors.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Dallas Zoo has been nationally recognized by numerous publications as one of the top zoos in the country.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The Zoo is a great way to get up close and personal with wildlife.