Also Featured In
Type: Family Friendly, Zoos
Boasting over 2000 animals from roughly 400 species, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo, founded in 1888, is the largest and oldest zoological park in the state. But there's more going on here than your usual... Read More
Boasting over 2000 animals from roughly 400 species, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo, founded in 1888, is the largest and oldest zoological park in the state. But there's more going on here than your usual walk-through animal exhibits. Most of the enclosures have been constructed to replicate the animals' natural environments. Among them includes the 11-acre Giants of the Savanna, the only zoo exhibit in the United States to mix elephants with other species (think giraffes, cheetahs, zebras) in the same habitat. Along with a monorail safari through areas not accessible by foot, there's also a children's zoo complete with interactive exhibits, a petting farm, pony rides and a nature-inspired swap shop where kids can exchange items. Daily presentations include animal encounters and a giraffe feeding experience, plus the zoo hosts an assortment of special events throughout the year.
- Things to Do with Kids: "There are several ways to save on admission: During January and February, entry is offered for $8; also receive $2 off tickets on Mondays and Tuesdays when you ride DART to the Zoo. Dallas Zoo is one of the venues listed on CityPass. Additional discounts can be found on the website."
- Outdoor Activities: "Score $2 off admission (Mondays and Tuesdays) by riding DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) to the zoo and presenting your DART pass at the ticket counter. Also, note that the Dallas Zoo is included in Dallas CityPASS."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Check sites like Groupon for discounted tickets. The Zoo also offers specials in the winter and summer seasons."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The Zoo is a great place to get up close and personal with wildlife.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: A trip to the Dallas Zoo is one of the best ways to keep everyone in the family entertained outdoors.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Dallas Zoo has been nationally recognized by numerous publications as one of the top zoos in the country.