Explore San Antonio
Also Featured In
McNay Art Museum in San Antonio
Type: Art & Culture, Art Museums, Historic Sites, Museums, Sightseeing
If you only visit one museum in San Antonio, make sure it's the McNay. Not only do they have a superb art collection, but the museum itself is also a work of art. This 24-room, Spanish colonial... Read More
If you only visit one museum in San Antonio, make sure it's the McNay. Not only do they have a superb art collection, but the museum itself is also a work of art. This 24-room, Spanish colonial revival-style mansion and its own sizable collection was donated by Marion Koogler McNay, an American painter and art teacher. The museum focuses primarily on 19th and 20th century European and American art and has some impressive pieces by artists such as Paul Cezanne, Pablo Picasso, Paul Gauguin, Henri Matisse, Georgia O'Keeffe, Diego Rivera, Mary Cassatt and Edward Hopper. Also, be sure to visit the absolutely stunning interior courtyard, complete with a Japanese-inspired garden and fishpond. It's a nice place to sit and ponder.
6000 North New Braunfels Avenue
San Antonio, TX 78209
- Tue-Wed,: Fri; 10am-4pm
- Thu: 10am-9pm
- Sat: 10am-5pm
- Sun: Midnight-5pm
- Museum Adult $10; Senior $5; Student $5; Military $5
- Things to Do in Fall: "This fall, the McNay will be exhibiting Picasso to Hockney: Modern Art on Stage, which will feature over 120 objects, an "unparalleled treasure-trove of scenic and costume designs.""
- Free Things to Do: "Don't neglect a stroll through the inner garden to see some beautiful sculptures and coy pond. It's beyond Instagram worthy!"
- Romantic Things to Do: "Check the website for current and upcoming exhibits, such as the Van Gogh to Munch: Seduction and Anxiety and American Dreams: Classic Cars and Postwar Paintings exhibits... they're always worth the trip!"
- Museums, Family-Friendly Museums: "Check the website for current and upcoming exhibits – they're usually worth the trip!"
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: The McNay offers an array of exceptional artwork and collections, all housed in an unforgettable historic mansion.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: On H-E-B Thursday Nights, this stunning museum offers free general admission from 4 to 9 pm.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The McNay Art Museum is the ideal destination for art lovers in love.
- Best for Museums Because: The McNay carries world-class art collections and features amazing traveling exhibits as well as a gorgeous estate.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The McNay is a stunning museum with top notch art and exhibits.