Explore San Antonio
Also Featured In
If you want to find the oldest dance hall in the Lone Star State, you'll have to make the trip back in time to this tiny community right outside New Braunfels. Gruene Hall has been in continuous... Read More
If you want to find the oldest dance hall in the Lone Star State, you'll have to make the trip back in time to this tiny community right outside New Braunfels. Gruene Hall has been in continuous operation since 1878, and over the years folks like Lyle Lovett, George Strait, and Robert Earl Keen've played to packed houses. During the day, Gruene is a favorite of history buffs and antique hounds, who scour stores like Cactus Jacks and Black Swann for everything from old bottles and battered signs to European furniture and arrowheads. There're also a few places to cool your heels, most notably Janie's Table, known for their Hill Country-style.
New Braunfels, TX 78130
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: For a little afternoon getaway, Gruene offers a true taste of Texas Hill Country life.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: For an afternoon getaway from the city, Gruene is a quaint historic city with river access, shopping and great food.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Gruene is ideal for a day trip. Although free to visit, no doubt you'll want to spend a little on lunch, shopping or tubing.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: If you're looking for a day trip, head to Greune for sight-seeing, shopping, food, and tubing in the warmer months.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Gruene is charming town, full of shops, restaurants and opportunities for romance.