Explore San Antonio
San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
Type: Historic Sites, Parks, Religious Sites, Tours and Excursions
There were five missions established in the early 1700's. These Spanish missions were more than churches. They became towns with a focus on encouraging the natives to become Catholic in order to be... Read More
There were five missions established in the early 1700's. These Spanish missions were more than churches. They became towns with a focus on encouraging the natives to become Catholic in order to be citizens. The Spanish king was able to extend influence outward from Mexico. Four missions are linked on this trail. San Jose, San Juan, Concepcion, and Espada. The fifth was the Alamo. With the exception of the Alamo, all four of the missions are still active Catholic parishes. Beautiful architecture remains almost as it was nearly 300 years ago. Step back into a beautiful history as you tour the San Antonio Missions. Family friendly and educational.
- Daily 9am-5pm
- Things to Do with Kids: "Although San Jose is the largest of the missions, make sure to stop by the smaller but equally awe-inspiring ones, such as Mission Espada."
- Free Things to Do: "Bring your bikes for a self-tour along the mission reach part of the river walk!"
- Outdoor Activities, Historic Sites: "Rent some bikes and enjoy your own bike tour of the missions!"
- Things to Do in December: "The best way to take in the historic missions is to rent bikes and follow the mission trail, enjoying fresh air at your own pace."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: San Antonio's Missions offer kids a unique opportunity to see how life was once lived so many years ago.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's free to visit most of the historic missions in San Antonio (not including the Alamo). It's a fun outdoor educational activity for the family!
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Nothing combines history and outdoor activity like a self-guided walking or biking tour along the Mission Trail.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: This is a rare opportunity to visit quite a few historic missions that laid the foundation for the city of San Antonio.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: These missions are a fascinating educational opportunity for families and history buffs to enjoy.