Explore San Antonio
Type: Family Friendly, Free Attractions, Local Picks, Movie Theaters, Outdoor Activities, Parks, Relaxing
What's better than an outdoor movie? A free outdoor movie! And thanks to Slab Cinema, which provides free movie watching experiences all over the city of San Antonio, you have the opportunity to enjoy... Read More
What's better than an outdoor movie? A free outdoor movie! And thanks to Slab Cinema, which provides free movie watching experiences all over the city of San Antonio, you have the opportunity to enjoy popular films, often several times a month. Slab Cinema started in 2004 and has been a favorite family activity ever since. From The Little Mermaid to War Games and even a Coen Brothers triple feature which includes Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski and Fargo, Slab Cinema pops up at the coolest, iconic venues, ranging from the San Antonio Museum of Art (at Confluence Park) to Hemisfair Park and even the Alamo. On the Southside, they've been playing movies on a restored drive-in screen at Mission Marquee Plaza. Typically, the movies tend towards family-friendly flicks, but the content varies, so be sure to check out their website to see what's coming up. Bring a blanket or chair, maybe a cooler with some drinks and snacks and you're set for the evening. Often the venues have food trucks or access to nearby restaurants, in case you don't have time to prepare. Free never felt so fun!
- Things to Do in December: "Check out the website for dates and details. Make sure to get there at least 15 minutes before dusk."
- Things to Do in Fall: "Slab Cinema is the perfect fall event for enjoying the cooler weather! The movie starts approximately 15 minutes after the official sunset time."
- Free Things to Do, Outdoor Activities: "Slab Cinema doesn't want you to miss the movie, so they ask that you be there before dusk. The movie starts approximately 15 minutes after the official sunset time."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Don't forget to bring a bottle of champagne, sexy snacks and a comfy blanket you can share."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Slab Cinema offers good family fun! The movie offerings vary and range from holiday favorites like The Grinch to old black-and-whites.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall, Romantic Things to Do Because: Slab Cinema offers couples a great inexpensive date night option where snuggling is encouraged.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Slab Cinema is a great way to enjoy family time watching your favorite movies for free at iconic locations around San Antonio.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Slab Cinema is a relaxing outdoor activity for film lovers that's free for the whole family.