Explore San Antonio
Also Featured In
Cascabel Mexican Patio
Cuisine: Latin, Mexican
Price Range: $
Cascabel is one of the best-kept secrets in San Antonio and sports a wonderful outdoor patio with umbrella-covered tables. It's different than every other Mexican restaurant in the city because it... Read More
Cascabel is one of the best-kept secrets in San Antonio and sports a wonderful outdoor patio with umbrella-covered tables. It's different than every other Mexican restaurant in the city because it features regional specialties from interior Mexico. You won't find the ubiquitous refried pinto beans here or even flour tortillas. Cascabel serves everything with thick yet soft homemade corn tortillas and refried black beans that have an exceptional amount of flavor. If you want to try something unique, order the Birria, which is a rustic goat stew. If you want to play it safe, order the Huaraches, which are corn tortillas smothered in refried black beans, shredded cabbage, your choice of meat, a spicy red chile sauce and sour cream. Cascabel will stimulate your palette without over-stimulating your bank account!
1000 S St Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205
- Best for Mexican Because: Cascabel is a quaint little eatery with authentic interior Mexican food, a region of the country that is not often featured in San Antonio.
- Best for Breakfast Because: Cascabel's chilaquiles are quite literally to-die-for, and a refreshing change from all the Tex-Mex!
- Recommended as Best Restaurants for Spring Because: A great choice for breakfast and lunch that's affordable and just a little different than the norm. They also have a nice outdoor area.
- Best for Lunch Because: Cascabel's is a truly authentic central Mexican restaurant with some of the finest housemade traditional dishes.
- Best for Restaurants near Alamodome Because: Located in Southtown near the Alamodome, this is a great option for lunch before an event.
- Best for Homestyle Because: Some people's comfort food is chicken fried steak and for others it's a big plate of Mexican food. You're welcome!