Explore San Antonio
Also Featured In
Cascabel's is one of the best-kept secrets in San Antonio and sports a wonderful outdoor patio with umbrella-covered tables. It's different than every other Mexican food restaurant in the city because... Read More
Cascabel's is one of the best-kept secrets in San Antonio and sports a wonderful outdoor patio with umbrella-covered tables. It's different than every other Mexican food restaurant in the city because it features regional specialties from interior Mexico. You won't find the ubiquitous refried pinto beans here or even flour tortillas. Cascabel's serves everything with thick yet soft homemade corn tortillas and refried black beans that have an exceptional amount of flavor. If you want to try something unique, order the Birria, which is a rustic goat stew. If you want to play it safe, order the Huaraches, which are corn tortillas smothered in refried black beans, shredded cabbage, your choice of meat, a spicy red chile sauce and sour cream. Cascabel's will stimulate your palette without over-stimulating your bank account!
1000 S St Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205
- Lunch: "Make sure to try the flan for dessert."
- Restaurants with Gluten-Free Menus: "They have live Salsa music on the weekends!"
- Mexican, Restaurants near Alamodome, Homestyle, Tex-Mex, Breakfast: "This quaint and quirky little restaurant is great for breakfast too. Try the Mexican hot chocolate or the Cafe de Olla. There is nothing else like it!"
- Outdoor Dining: "This quirky little restaurant is great for breakfast too. Try the Mexican hot chocolate or the Cafe de Olla. There is nothing else like it!"
- Best for Lunch Because: Cascabel's is a truly authentic central Mexican restaurant with some of the finest housemade traditional dishes.
- Best for Restaurants with Gluten-Free Menus Because: Rosario's is one of the city's favorite Mexican restaurants, with a number of gluten-free dishes.
- Best for Mexican Because: Cascabel is a quaint little eatery with authentic interior Mexican food, a region of the country that is not often featured in San Antonio.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: A festive place to grab a bite to eat. You almost feel like you might just be in Mexico.
- Best for Restaurants near Alamodome Because: Located in Southtown near the Alamodome, this is a great option for lunch before an event.
- Best for Homestyle Because: Some people's comfort food is chicken fried steak and for others it's a big plate of Mexican food. You're welcome!
- Best for Tex-Mex Because: While more Mexican than Tex-Mex, Cascabel's is truly one of
- Best for Breakfast Because: Cascabel's chilaquiles are quite literally to-die-for, and a refreshing change from all the Tex-Mex!