Explore San Antonio
Brick Marketplace at Blue Star Arts Complex
Type: Art Galleries, Clothing Stores, Food / Gourmet Stores, Gift Stores, Jewelry Stores, Markets, Shopping Centers, Specialty Shops
Blue Star Arts Complex is one of the gems of the Southtown Arts District. Besides featuring the Blue Star Contemporary Arts Museum, the complex is home to several galleries, restaurants and bars.... Read More
Blue Star Arts Complex is one of the gems of the Southtown Arts District. Besides featuring the Blue Star Contemporary Arts Museum, the complex is home to several galleries, restaurants and bars. Brick was once home to Jump-Start, a performance company, which is still in operation. Most Sundays, from noon to 5 pm, (and during the First Friday art walks), is when Brick is transformed into a fun and funky artisan market featuring mostly handmade goods and treats. Their mission is to bring together all kinds of art forms in a space that welcomes self-expression and experimentation. The stylish and eccentric charm of the marketplace encourages shoppers to come-as-you-are and sample the array of cool wares on offer. You can find things like healthy, handmade doggy treats, one-of-a-kind artwork, such as paintings by world-renowned artist, Franco Mondini-Ruiz, jewelry and vintage clothes from local celeb Agosto Cuellar and fantastic edibles. Local Chef, Rene Guerrero, makes the most scrumptious empanadas each Sunday, made with fresh ingredients in a beautiful golden pastry. You can expect to find flavors like sweet potato, Mexican chorizo and pineapple, white bean and smoked turkey, picadillo, vegetarian borracho black bean and bacon cheeseburger.
- Christmas Shopping: "Make sure to take some time to check out the art galleries, such as Tatum Originals Choice Goods, also located at Blue Star."
- Boutiques: "You can hop on the Riverwalk from the Blue Star Arts Complex and walk or bike along the stunning Mission Trail."
- Best Shopping: "A permanent fixture at Brick is an offbeat shop called Tatum Originals Retail Gallery that features exquisitely oddball clothes and art produced by one of San Antonio's most famous artists, Robert Tatum."
- Best for Christmas Shopping Because: The Brick is always putting on artisan markets throughout the month that showcase some of the most creative and unique gifts in the city.
- Best for Boutiques Because: Brick Marketplace offers truly unique gifts and handmade goods, including locally-made artwork, some right before your eyes.
- Recommended as Best Shopping Because: You can find some local, hand-crafted goods at this charming market.