Also Featured In
Ko Kret Island
Type: Countryside, Day Trips, Sightseeing
Ko Kret is an island in the Chao Phraya River at the northern end of Bangkok. Originally settled by Mons, it is famed for its earthenware ceramics and for the traditional Thai sweet, khao cher, rice... Read More
Ko Kret is an island in the Chao Phraya River at the northern end of Bangkok. Originally settled by Mons, it is famed for its earthenware ceramics and for the traditional Thai sweet, khao cher, rice served with fragrant water and side dishes which is rare to find elsewhere in the capital. The island feels more like a southern paradise than part of Bangkok, as it is composed of small traffic free lanes, dilapidated homes, and a rustic feel. The island is only 7 kilometers around, so it's perfect for walking or renting a bicycle, and the morning can be spent visiting pottery shops, the several Mon (Burmese) monasteries, eating seafood or sweets, and taking in some quiet gardens, a great escape from hectic Bangkok.
- Day Tours, Free Things to Do, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities: "Getting to Ko Kret takes a bit of planning. Either take the Chao Phraya "green flag" express ferry from Saphan Taksin Pier to Pak Kret (before 8am), or else take the regular ferry to Nonthaburi (slightly south of Pak Kret) and then either bus 32 or a minivan that goes to the Pak Kret Pier."
- Best for Day Tours Because: For Bangkok's most leisurely escape, Ko Kret is fantastic.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Koh Kret is a great city escape, not to mention that the only expense you'll have is renting a bicycle!
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: For a car free Bangkok escape and a slice of tradition, try Ko Kret.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: For a real outdoor Bangkok escape, Ko Kret Island is a great choice.