Type: Outdoor Activities, Public Spaces, Sightseeing
While many might think of Bangkok and nature in the same sentence as being an oxymoron, they probably have never heard of Bang Krachao. Bang Krachao, also known as "the lungs" of Bangkok is a vast... Read More
While many might think of Bangkok and nature in the same sentence as being an oxymoron, they probably have never heard of Bang Krachao. Bang Krachao, also known as "the lungs" of Bangkok is a vast area of green space just across the Chao Phraya River from Klong Toey. Originally a settlement for ethnic Burmese Mons, Bang Krachao is made up of orchards and gardens, and a strict local planning code prohibiting high rise buildings and factories has kept the area in a pristine state. The 100 acre Sri Nakhon Kuenkhan Park with its oasis of trees, lakes, and trails is the highlight here, as is renting a bicycle and heading out along the raised embankments that run through villages built on wooden stilts.
Bang Krachao, Samut Prakan
- Free Things to Do, Day Tours, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities: "If here on a weekend, make sure to go to the nearby Nam Peung floating market, an authentic Thai affair featuring excellent food and organic products. Motorcycle taxis go here from the ferry pier. To get across to Bang Krachao, a 10 minute 5 baht ferry runs from the Klong Toey Pier at Klong Toey Nok Temple."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: For Bangkok's biggest park and green space without the tourists, Bang Krachao is one of a kind.
- Best for Day Tours Because: Bang Krachao is a true escape from Bangkok's urban grit and closer than anywhere else.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: For peace and bliss just minutes from downtown, Bang Krachao is a must visit.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: For Bangkok's largest green outdoor space, Bang Krachao is on top.