Type: Attractions, Great Views, Sightseeing
London offers many places to catch great panoramas of the skyline and the Thames, but this attraction is one of the best. Run by British Airways, the Eye opened to great acclaim at the start of the... Read More
London offers many places to catch great panoramas of the skyline and the Thames, but this attraction is one of the best. Run by British Airways, the Eye opened to great acclaim at the start of the new millennium; well-managed ticketing ensures that the wait is never more than a half-hour, despite the Eye's overwhelming popularity. The 30-minute guided "flight" reaches a peak of 450 feet (it's the tallest observation wheel in the world) and offers panoramic views. During the day, guides point out all the sights within a 25-mile radius, giving folks a good introduction to the city's layout. At night, when London is lit up, the view is even more amazing, and romantic. A must-see. If you purchase a Fast Track ticket in advance (on-line or via phone), you can skip the usually lengthy queues. TUBE: Waterloo
- Oct - Mar: Daily 10am-8pm
- Apr: Daily 10am-9pm
- May - June: Sun-Thu 10am-9pm; Fri-Sat 10am-9:30pm
- July - Aug: Daily 10am-9:30pm
- Sep: Daily 10am-9pm
- 30-minute Flight Adult £17.88; Senior (60+) £14.30; Child (4-15) £9.50; Child (0-4) Free; Family £49.28
Fast Track ticket £27.88; Child (0-4) Free
- Romantic Things to Do: "Book ahead, then afterwards, walk across Westminster Bridge to look at the Houses of Parliament, the Cabinet War Rooms, Whitehall, and number 10 Downing Street, the heart of the British Establishment."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: There is something very romantic about looking down upon London from above, holding hands in a pod as you catch the panorama.