Explore Salt Lake City
Type: Free Attractions, Religious Sites, Romantic, Sightseeing, Tours and Excursions
At the center of Salt Lake City, Temple Square, home to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sits on a beautiful 10 acres, and at Christmas time, it is a spectacular sight, with over a... Read More
At the center of Salt Lake City, Temple Square, home to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sits on a beautiful 10 acres, and at Christmas time, it is a spectacular sight, with over a million lights and nativity scenes from all over the world decorating the grounds. From the day after Thanksgiving thru December 31, holiday viewers can stroll the grounds at no charge and see the colors of Christmas. Some make it an annual tradition to be there right when the lights turn on for the first time on Black Friday, signaling the start of the season. People from all over the world have made it a point to see the lights at Temple Square, an annual event dating back over 50 years. The annual "Savior of the World" Musical runs November 21 through January 3. The Christmas on Temple Square concert series begins Saturday November 29. Tickets are free but must be obtained online or by calling in advance. Many other musical ensembles perform throughout the Square through December 31. See their web site for details. A Christmas
- Daily 9am-9pm
- Things to Do in December: "While downtown to see the Temple Square lights, catch a horse drawn carriage to see more lights of downtown shops."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: This is the city's most spectacular display in a gorgeous setting and definitely puts one in the Christmas spirit.
- Free Things to Do, Sightseeing: "Don't be afraid to approach a missionary for a tour; these are free and informative."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Join a free, missionary-led tour of Temple Square, and try to catch a rehearsal or concert at the Tabernacle."
- Outdoor Activities: "Temple Square is a great way to get outdoors while still in the city - and is arguably the city's most classic attraction."