Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of SAM-Olympic Sculpture Park
Olympic Sculpture Park
Type: Art Museums, Museums, Parks
(*While SAM's three venues are closed, see art via their blog and by accessing an online video series.) Once open stroll through the grounds, and admire the fascinating large-scale works on display at... Read More
(*While SAM's three venues are closed, see art via their blog and by accessing an online video series.) Once open stroll through the grounds, and admire the fascinating large-scale works on display at this nine-acre green space. Extensive landscaping enhances the park's beauty, and a walkway, extending from the beach to Belltown, provides views of the Puget Sound and of downtown landmarks. Among the pieces on view, find "Eye Benches I, II, III" by Louise Bourgeois, a series of functional carved-granite benches that take the form of giant eyeballs. Also, find work from the height of famed sculptor Alexander Calder's career– "The Eagle" (1971), a huge, abstract steel sculpture that's bright orange. Free, 60-minute public tours are offered; times and topics vary by season, so check the website ahead of time.
- Daily Sunrise-Sunset
Parking $5 - $22
- Free Things to Do: "(*While SAM's three venues are closed, see art via their blog and by accessing this video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDFX-IVwOcY_pMVLCy78mxFJCI0c3EyZ4&utm_source=SAM+Contact+List&utm_campaign=028870b923-stay_home_sam_2020_03_19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9ef423bd02-028870b923-161974149). Although it's mostly an outdoor experience, the sculpture park features the PACCAR Pavilion, where the Seattle Art Museum operates the SAM Shop at Olympic Sculpture Park and Landscapes Café offers a range of specialty coffees and beverages."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Before or after wandering this dreamy urban sculpture park, head to the nearby Edgewater Hotel, where Six Seven Restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy a romantic meal or waterside cocktail."
- Outdoor Activities, Family-Friendly Museums, Attractions near Cruise Port, Parks, Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center, Beaches: "Although it's mostly an outdoor experience, the sculpture park features the PACCAR Pavilion, within which the Seattle Art Museum operates the SAM Shop at Olympic Sculpture Park. The shop offers a delightful and distinctive collection of artist multiples and art objects that serve as tasteful souvenirs of your visit here."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Once it reopens, the free Olympic Sculpture Park brings alfresco art to a stunning, waterfront setting. In the meantime, connect to Seattle Art Museum online.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Head to the Olympic Sculpture Park at sunset for stunning views of modern art against an astounding natural backdrop.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Olympic Sculpture Park proves a perfect downtown spot for strolling the grounds and admiring fascinating large-scale works on display within a picturesque nine-acre green space.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Kids (and parents, too!) delight in wandering the open space of the Olympic Sculpture Park, where beautiful art enjoys a stunning natural backdrop.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: The Olympic Sculpture Park draws visitors for its unique allure: a free, alfresco art "museum," with stunning water views.
- Best for Parks, Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center Because: The Olympic Sculpture Park brings beautiful modern art to a scenic, alfresco setting with views of the mountains and water.
- Best for Beaches Because: Downtown's Olympic Sculpture Park reveals some hidden beaches (down the hill from the art), perfect for strolling (with dogs!) or simply taking in the scenery.