Museum of Pop Culture
Type: History Museums, Museums
If you're ever going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, Seattle is THE place to do so. This intriguing museum celebrates the history of rock and roll. With more than 100,000 items,... Read More
If you're ever going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, Seattle is THE place to do so. This intriguing museum celebrates the history of rock and roll. With more than 100,000 items, MoPOP has one of the biggest collections of contemporary pop culture historical objects, showcased in the ultra-modern Frank Gehry-designed building (which resembles a smashed guitar). Among the displays are Janis Joplin's floral bell-bottoms and a leather jacket once worn by Elvis Presley. At 5,384 square feet, Sky Church, a performance arena erected to host concerts by world-renowned musicians, is also part of the complex. Recent exhibits celebrate talents ranging from Pearl Jam to Prince.
- Daily 10am-5pm
- Adult $15; Senior (65+) $12; Student $12; Military $12; Child (5-17) $12; Child (4 and under) Free
- Best Attractions & Activities: "While capacity is limited, reserved a timed ticket ahead of time. Check out events like virtual movie viewings at: https://www.mopop.org//exhibitions-plus-events/events/."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Warm up those music-playing hands; interactive exhibits here at MoPOP allow patrons to practice their own tunes in mock studios and even on a simulated concert stage. Also check out: Artists at Play, located just outside the museum--an imaginative, artists-created playground that has been designed for kids of all ages with a 35-foot high climbing tower and kid-centric musical instruments, listening stations and sound swings."
- Museums, Family-Friendly Museums, Attractions near Cruise Port, Sightseeing, Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center: "Warm up those music-playing hands; interactive exhibits here at the EMP (what locals call the site) allow patrons to practice their own tunes in mock studios and even on a simulated concert stage."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: If you're going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, Seattle is THE place; this museum celebrates pop culture in beautiful ways.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The funkily-shaped Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) offers unique hands-on exhibits that allow visitors to learn music history and to try out instruments themselves.
- Best for Museums Because: The Experience Music Project features a fun, funky building and fascinating exhibits highlighting the city's musical past, present and future.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The Experience Music Project entertains and educates with alluring sights and sounds, and kids can try their hand at different instruments, too.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Experience Music Project delights visitors of all ages with its music memorabilia and hands-on activities. You can't miss the funky building at Seattle Center.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Experience Music Project in Seattle Center spotlights the city's thriving music scene--past and present.
- Best for Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center Because: The Experience Music Project is a family-friendly space that explores the past, present and future of some of the world's greatest talents.