Museum of Pop Culture
Type: History Museums, Museums
If you're ever going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, pop culture and science fiction, Seattle is THE place to do so. This intriguing museum celebrates the history of rock and roll... Read More
If you're ever going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, pop culture and science fiction, Seattle is THE place to do so. This intriguing museum celebrates the history of rock and roll and creative expressions of all kinds–"from iconic bands to video gaming trends. More than 80,000 American mementos are showcased in the ultra-modern Frank Gehry-designed building, which resembles a smashed guitar. Among the displays are Janis Joplin's floral bell-bottoms and a leather jacket once worn by Elvis Presley. Sky Church, a performance arena erected to host concerts by world-renowned musicians, is also part of the complex. After viewing the exhibits, guests may unwind and grab a bite in the museum's CULTURE KITCHEN SEATTLE by Wolfgang Puck.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Adult $15; Senior (65+) $12; Student $12; Military $12; Child (5-17) $12; Child (4 and under) Free
- Museums: "The Museum's latest additions include a new touring exhibition, "Contact High: A Visual History of Hip-Hop" and "Heroes and Villains: The Art of the Disney Costume," which will stay up through April 2022. Check out the website for the latest mandates on masks, vaccination proof, etc."
- Things to Do with Kids: "While here, also check out: Artists at Play, located just outside the museum, desired as "an imaginative, artists-created playground that has been designed for kids of all ages with a 35-foot high climbing tower and kid-centric musical instruments, listening stations and sound swings.""
- Best Attractions & Activities: "While capacity is limited, reserved a timed ticket ahead of time. Check out events like virtual movie viewings at: https://www.mopop.org//exhibitions-plus-events/events/."
- Family-Friendly Museums, Attractions near Cruise Port, Sightseeing, Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center: "Warm up those music-playing hands; interactive exhibits here at the EMP (what locals call the site) allow patrons to practice their own tunes in mock studios and even on a simulated concert stage."
- Best for Museums Because: The Museum of Pop Culture aims "to make creative expression a life-changing force"; book tickets online to explore exhibits showcasing memorable musicians, movies and beyond.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The funkily-shaped Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) offers unique hands-on exhibits that allow visitors to learn music history and to try out instruments themselves.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: If you're going to visit a venue dedicated to the magic of music, Seattle is THE place; this museum celebrates pop culture in beautiful ways.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The Experience Music Project entertains and educates with alluring sights and sounds, and kids can try their hand at different instruments, too.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Experience Music Project delights visitors of all ages with its music memorabilia and hands-on activities. You can't miss the funky building at Seattle Center.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Experience Music Project in Seattle Center spotlights the city's thriving music scene--past and present.
- Best for Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center Because: The Experience Music Project is a family-friendly space that explores the past, present and future of some of the world's greatest talents.