Also Featured In
Type: Attractions, Great Views, Sightseeing
Well, we still don't have jet packs and flying cars, but the most iconic symbol of that 1960's space-age promise – the Space Needle – still stands as Seattle's most-recognized tourist attraction.... Read More
Well, we still don't have jet packs and flying cars, but the most iconic symbol of that 1960's space-age promise – the Space Needle – still stands as Seattle's most-recognized tourist attraction. Built for the 1962 World's Fair, the forward-looking theme of which was "Century 21," the 602-foot Needle looks like a huge flying saucer on a towering tripod. At the 520-foot level, the observation deck provides panoramic views of the area's surrounding bays, lakes, mountains and other points of interest. The attraction is now better than ever, thanks to the Needle's recent $100 million "space lift" renovation that features the world's first and only revolving glass floor and completely unobstructed, floor-to-ceiling views of the twinkling Seattle skyline. On the way up to, entertaining and comedic elevator operators rattle off fun facts and invite visitors to test their Needle knowledge.
- Observation Deck & SpaceBase: Mon-Thu 9:30am-11pm; Fri-Sat 9am-11:30pm; Sun 9am-11pm
- SkyCity: Mon-Thu 11:30am-2pm, 5pm-8:45pm; Fri 11:30am-2pm, 5pm-9:45pm; Sat 10am-2:45pm, 5pm-9:45pm; Sun 10am-2:45pm, 5pm-8:45pm
- Adult (14-64) $17; Senior (65+) $15; Military $15; Child (4-13) $9; Child (3 and under) Free
- Romantic Things to Do: "After getting this sky-high view of the city, head next door to the Chihuly Garden and Glass. As an alternative to enjoying the Space Needle's elevated views, head to Pioneer Square's revamped Smith Tower, where you can enjoy cocktails and tasty snacks in an intimate setting."
- Sightseeing, Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center: "The fine-dining space atop the Needle is one of the few revolving restaurants in the world. The 360-degree view is spectacular, and the food isn't bad either."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Savor gorgeous 360-degree views (and a brand-new revolving glass floor) atop Seattle's most iconic landmark, perhaps before grabbing an intimate dinner nearby.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The city's most recognizable attraction--the Space Needle--offers stunning views of the city and beyond.
- Best for Attractions near KeyArena at Seattle Center Because: No visit to Seattle is complete without ascending to the top floor of the Space Needle. Enjoy panoramic views and perhaps a fine meal.