View a Historic Spanish Mission in the Heart of Sonoma
The Mission San Francisco Solano, in the heart of the town of Sonoma, was founded on July 4, 1823 and named for Spanish missionary Francis Solanus. It was the last, and most northerly, link of a chain of 21 missions built in California by Franciscan priests. It was here that Franciscan fathers grew grapes and produced wine from the first vineyard in the Sonoma Valley, planted in 1825.
Photo courtesy of Joanne DiBona