You're headed to Myrtle Beach, Coronado Island, Galveston, Destin or Nantucket. Grilling and outdoor dining are a big part of your vacation plans. Here are substitution ingredients to keep those barbecue menus healthy!
Guiltless Picnics with Guiding Stars
Begin with some great tasting, nutritious basics. Guiding Stars helps you navigate the aisles by identifying one, two and three star foods. The more stars, the more good stuff like vitamins, minerals, fiber and whole grains, are packed inside and the less saturated and trans fat, cholesterol, added sodium and added sugars.
Star-worthy barbecue foods:
- Dole Classic Coleslaw (3 stars)
- Whole wheat pasta (3 stars)
- Brianna’s Home Style Real French Vinaigrette (1 star)
Brianna's dressing is perfect for a wholesome, cold whole wheat pasta salad. Combine your cooked pasta, chopped veggies and just enough dressing to keep pasta from sticking. Before serving, add dressing to taste.
- Pepperidge Farm Soft Oatmeal 100 Calorie Thin Rolls Deli Flats (3 stars)
- Arnold Fill’ems 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins (2 stars)
Both these breads are 100-calorie alternatives to traditional buns, which can add up to 250 calories to your meal!
- Chobani plain Greek yogurt (3 stars)
- Terra Sweets and Beets Krinkle Cut Sweet Potato and Beet Chips (2 stars)
- Kettle Lightly Salted Baked Potato Chips (2 stars)
- Olivio Original Vegetable Oil Spread (3 stars)
- 90% Lean Ground Beef
- Avocado (3 stars)…add to lean burger for a buttery bite
- Skinless split chicken breast (3 stars)
Prepare with your favorite spice rub (mix with a little olive oil to spread easily)
About the Dietitian: Guiding Stars Consulting Dietitian Allison Stowell MS, RD, CDN is a Registered Dietician and a working mom of two. Allison enables individuals to make positive, sustainable changes in their eating habits by stressing conscious eating, improving relationships with food and offering a non-diet approach for reaching and maintaining ideal body weight.