Man's best friend deserves a luxurious getaway too. At these 10 dog-friendly hotels across New England, that means a comfy bed, a warm welcome, easy access to walks and lots of healthy treats.
The Inn by the Sea - Cape Elizabeth, Maine
The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
This delightful beachside resort treats dogs as guests, offering in-room spa services and their own customized food menu, freshly cooked to order. Pet massage is particularly welcome for older pets with joint and health problems. Dogs are welcome to join their carers for meals on the outside decks or in the fireplace lounge, and they can order from the gourmet pet menu.
In the fall, dogs are allowed to enjoy the outdoor pool before it's cleaned and closed for the winter. Bowls, beach towels, cookies at turn-down and doggy day care are offered. The inn’s commitment to animal welfare goes much deeper, though; dogs from the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland are fostered, many of whom are adopted by guests who qualify as good dog guardians.
- Inn By The Sea
- With a stay at Inn By The Sea in Cape Elizabeth, you'll be on the beach, just a 2-minute walk from Crescent Beach State Park and 13 minutes by foot from Crescent Beach. Featured amenities include a business center,... Read More
Fairmont Copley Plaza - Boston, Massachusetts
Fairmont Copley Plaza in Boston, Massachusetts — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
It started with Catie, a black Labrador, who flunked blind dog training school (she just had too much character) and was adopted as the hotel’s Canine Ambassador. Then came Carly, another lively black Lab dropout, who took over when Catie retired. Now, Cori presides over the grand lobby, greeting guests and snoozing in her magnificent bed.
Guests may bring their own dog to the Fairmont Copley Plaza, where they can choose a special dog package, order all-natural Polkadog bakery treats, and enjoy dogsitting services. Dogs may dine with their humans in the cozy nook off the swanky restaurant. Walking is easy with Copley Square directly in front and Boston’s Esplanade just a few blocks away.
- Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
- Location. Adjacent to the historic Copley Place, the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston lies in the heart of the city's entertainment and shopping districts, just steps away from Newbury Street and Copley Plaza T station.... Read More
Twin Farms - Barnard, Vermont
Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
If you and the pooch need a complete unwind in nature together, check into the dog-friendly log cabin at Twin Farms. Not only are dogs welcome to relax inside the cabin and outside on the private screened deck overlooking nothing but trees, but the decor pays homage to dogs in its decor. Two dog sculptures grace the front porch, dog images are etched onto cushions and artwork lining the room, and antique dog toys fill a cabinet.
Walking the lanes around the property opens up a world of smells and sounds only a dog can appreciate, but you can try to take them in too.
The Vanderbilt, Auberge Resorts Collection - Newport, Rhode Island
The Vanderbilt, Auberge Resorts Collection in Newport, Rhode Island — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
This former private mansion built by a Vanderbilt scion is now a luxurious hotel set around a delightful outdoor courtyard, where dogs are often welcomed at events, such as a neighborhood s’mores night around the fire pit.
A couple minutes' walk brings you to Queen Ann Square, a lovely green space at Church and Thames Street, where dogs may romp in the small park. Or you might wander further to the waterfront. Back at The Vanderbilt, four-legged guests receive bowls, beds and treats. Note that cats are allowed too.
- Vanderbilt, Auberge Resorts Collection
- A stay at Vanderbilt, Auberge Resorts Collection places you in the heart of Newport, steps from Thames Street and Jane Pickens Theater. Featured amenities include complimentary wired Internet access, a 24-hour business... Read More
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel - Cambridge, Massachusetts
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel in Cambridge, Massachusetts — Photo courtesy of Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
When guests arrive at the Marlowe’s entrance, a welcome board displays the names of all pets who are staying. Dogs are far more interested in the bowl of dog biscuits, though. The location is perfect for easy walking: Just off Edwin H. Land Boulevard (named for the inventor of the Land camera), you can walk and relax in Canal Park or stroll along the Charles River, west towards Kendall, Central and Harvard Squares.
All Kimptons are dog-friendly, regardless of size. Every dog guest is provided with bowls and a dog bed. Dogsitting services may be arranged too.
- Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
- Location. Kimpton Marlowe Hotel is located in downtown Cambridge, Mass., across the Charles River from Boston. Harvard Square, Boston Common, Faneuil Hall and the Paul Revere House are within 3 miles of this property. Hotel... Read More
Wilburton Inn - Manchester, Vermont
Wilburton Inn, a destination resort in Manchester, Vermont — Photo courtesy of Jeff Fox
Nestled among the magnificent Green and Taconic Mountains, the great outdoors awaits you and your pooch pal(s) at Wilburton Inn. The grounds are beautiful, giving untold space to roam, respectfully. Each Mother’s Day, Halloween and at the beginning of December, the inn holds doggy slumber parties, presided over by four-legged innkeep Jetson, open to all canines and their well-behaved carers. Of course, the inn is dog-friendly year-round, but these celebratory occasions are all about a special appreciation for animal friends.
- Wilburton Inn
- Located in Manchester, Wilburton Inn is in the mountains, within a 5-minute drive of American Museum of Fly Fishing and Orvis Fly Fishing. Featured amenities include express check-out, a 24-hour front desk, and luggage... Read More
The Saybrook Point Resort and Marina - Old Saybrook, Connecticut
The Saybrook Point Resort and Marina in Old Saybrook, Connecticut — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
Sea dogs can relax at this waterside resort, enjoying the idyllic marina and walking along the boardwalk to Fort Saybrook Monument Park at the estuary where the Connecticut River empties into the Long Island Sound. The park is bordered by protected salt marsh, easily traversed by a network of boardwalks.
Every dog guest is provided with portable bowls, perfect for taking out with you, and a comfy dog bed to relax in.
- Saybrook Point Resort & Marina
- With a stay at Saybrook Point Resort & Marina in Old Saybrook (Old Saybrook Center), you'll be within a 5-minute drive of General William Hart House and Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center. Featured amenities include a... Read More
Four Seasons One Dalton - Boston, Massachusetts
Four Seasons One Dalton in Boston, Massachusetts — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
Despite being super posh, this towering luxury hotel gives dogs the warmest of welcomes from start to finish. Tucked in a quieter corner of Back Bay near the Fenway neighborhood, relaxing walks in Fens Park are, well, a walk in the park. This very dog-friendly property offers pet amenities such as dog beds, bowls, treats and bespoke Four Seasons One Dalton toys. Should your best friend need an extra special treat, such as a chef-cooked breakfast, just make a request.
- Four Seasons Hotel One Dalton Street, Boston
- Four Seasons Hotel One Dalton Street, Boston is in the heart of Boston, within a 5-minute walk of Newbury Street and Hynes Convention Center. Featured amenities include a business center, limo/town car service, and... Read More
Omni Bretton Arms Inn - Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
Bretton Arms in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
This cozy boutique inn, nestled in the Mount Washington Valley in New Hampshire’s magnificent White Mountains, is a rural retreat with trails on its very doorstep and plenty of opportunity for walks exploring the many new smells on offer. Inside, dogs are welcomed with treats and may join their humans in the lobby lounge to relax before a good night’s slumber in a chic guest room.
- Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington
- With a stay at Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington in Bretton Woods, you'll be in the mountains, just steps from White Mountain National Forest and a 3-minute drive from Bretton Woods Ski Area. Featured amenities... Read More
The Newbury - Boston, Massachusetts
The Newbury in Boston, Massachusetts — Photo courtesy of Linda Laban
Every dog that passes by The Newbury's entrance on Arlington Street during their daily walk takes a pause. In fact, some dogs lead their walkers to this very spot, because it has long been the tradition of the doormen here to say hello with a biscuit or two, greeting both four-legged neighbors and those checking into the hotel.
Dog guests of all sizes are welcome and are treated to comfy dog beds and bowls. Stroll the Public Garden across the street and the Boston Common, where there is an off-leash dog area for dogs to play and run.
- The Newbury Boston
- Location. The Taj Boston overlooks the Public Garden's ponds and flora in Boston, Massachusetts. Boston Common is located 1 block from the hotel. The Hatch Shell and the theater district are positioned 2 blocks away, while... Read More