Prep time: 8 hours | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4
Pizza Fritta is a Neapolitan street food that has only recently left the cobblestone streets of Naples. All the toppings one would enjoy on a regular pizza are sandwiched in between two pizza doughs and then deep fried until golden. Cripsy on the outside, gooey and savory on the inside, it's a dish that is simple and straightforward. But what makes it outstanding, like all dishes, is the quality of your ingredients.
This recipe comes from Chef Gino Sorbillo, one of Italy's most famous pizzaioli, and frequent guest on the show Master Chef. For the filling, Chef Sorbillo suggests any combination of sheep’s milk ricotta, thinly sliced ciccioli (Neapolitan pork salami), diced smoked provolone cheese, diced fresh peeled tomatoes, and black pepper.
Enjoy Chef Sorbillo's other pizza creations at his new restaurant Sorbillo NYC located at 334 Bowery, between Bond Street and Great Jones Street, New York, NY 10012.
- 1 tiny pinch, 0.07 ounces, brewers yeast
- 2 cups or 1 pound organic “0” or pizza flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Sunflower or other vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- Sheep’s milk ricotta
- Thinly sliced ciccioli (Neapolitan pork salami)
- Diced smoked provolone cheese
- Diced fresh peeled tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 1/3 cups of warm water in a bowl, and then sift in the flour and salt. Knead on a floured work surface until smooth, 10 to 12 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 balls and let rise at room temperature, covered in a clean cloth, for about 8 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a deep-sided skillet to cover one pizza at a time. Heat to 400 F.
- Stretch each section into a flat circle, pressing down with your palm to flatten it.
- Put the ricotta, salami, provolone and a tablespoon of diced tomatoes in the center. Season with black pepper.
- fold over and pinch the edges closed, taking care to leave an air pocket in the center. Pull on the two ends a bit and slowly lower into the hot oil.
- Fry in the hot oil, about 1/2 minute per side, until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and repeat with the other three pizzas.
- Eat while warm.