Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serves: -
As 2017 comes to a close, it's our last chance to shove in as many holiday treats and sinfully sweet desserts as we can before we hit the gym on January 1st.
A cake worth splurging those calories on comes from Pastry Chef Evan Sheridan of Raleigh, North Carolina's Umstead Hotel and Spa. Serve with some vanilla ice cream to help balance the richness that the People's Porter beer brings to the cake.
This recipe originally appeared on USA TODAY 10Best.
Booze-Infused People’s Porter Cashew Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup People's Porter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted salted cashews (chopped)
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream (optional)
Preparing the Booze-Infused People’s Porter Cashew Chocolate Cake
- Cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed, scraping down the bowl as needed. (Pro tip: do not paddle too fast, or the cake will fall after it is baked.)
- Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another
- Add in the People’s Porter and mix. Scrape down the bowl again.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and mix until incorporated. (Do not over-mix.)
- Fold in chopped roasted cashews.
- Scoop the cake batter into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted.
- Finish with whipped cream, toasted cashews, and vanilla ice cream