Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: - minutes | Serves: 4
Smoothie bowls are the new made-for-Instagram breakfast sensation that have taken the world (or at least the internet) by storm. But smoothie bowls are a lot more than just a pretty face – they're delicious, versatile and filled with any number of superfoods.
This particular version has an acai base, and includes all sorts of antioxidant-and nutrient-dense ingredients like chia, coconut oil, hemp seeds and blueberries.
Add to that texturally diverse ingredients like coconut flakes, pecans and raspberries and you've got a breakfast that's as delicious and healthy as it is beautiful. Don't forget to take a photo of your #smoothiebowl before you dig in.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
For the smoothie bowl
- 1 cup pecan milk* (see recipe below)
- 2 frozen unsweetened Acai puree pouches** (see recipe notes)
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries, slightly thawed (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4-6 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For the toppings
- 1/4 cup raw pecan halves
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 1/4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 1/4 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
For the pecan milk
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 3 cups water, plus additional for soaking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
To make the pecan milk
- Place the pecans in a bowl and cover them with water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain. (Pecans can be soaked in refrigerator for up to 24 hours to achieve the creamiest consistency.)
- In a blender, combine the soaked pecans, 3 cups water, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and kosher salt. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes until creamy.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour until the liquids and solids separate. Strain the pecan milk through fine mesh strainer into a sealable 1-quart jar, using a spatula to push liquid through as necessary. Seal the top and refrigerate until cold; store refrigerated for up to one week. Shake well before serving, as milk may separate over time.
For the smoothie bowl
- Add pecan milk to a blender. Break acai puree into small pieces and add to blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until mixture is evenly mixed but still thick (similar to the consistency of soft serve ice cream).
- Transfer smoothie to a bowl and top with fresh berries, pecan halves, hemp seeds, and coconut. Makes two large smoothie bowls or four small smoothie bowls.
- Frozen acai pouches are available at most retailers but if you’re unable to find it, simply add 1 cup of extra frozen berries to replace the acai puree.
- If mixture is too thick to blend, add 1 Tablespoon of water at a time until mixture comes together.